Skip to main content
Topic: Barbershop music question (Read 3813 times) previous topic - next topic

Barbershop music question

I use NWC 2.5 to help me learn barbershop music.  Quite often in barbershop the melody changes from the lead to the bass or the tenor part (rarely if ever the baritone). On the sheet music of such a song, there is a slotted line from the last note of the lead melody to the first note of the bass (or tenor) part showing that that part now has the melody and the lead is now part of the harmony.  When the bass (or tenor) melody section ends another slotted line points the return of the melody to the lead part.  Is there a feature in NWC that does this? I can't find such a feature (I don't even know what this slotted line is called), but I am new to this program and to barbershop singing in general.  But this program is a great way to learn new songs and perhaps one day I'll even compose a short tag or something!

Thanks in advance,

Ron Davidson
Harrisonburg, VA.

Re: Barbershop music question

Reply #1
NWC doesn't have such a feature.  You can insert the word "Melody" or some other symbol as text, perhaps in a special style/color so it can be seen by the part that just lost it.

BTW, when you are at the "General Discussion" level (not in a specific post), insert the word "barbershop" in the search window to see prior discussions involving it.  I sang it myself (chorus only) about 30 years ago.

Welcome to the forums!
Since 1998

Re: Barbershop music question

Reply #2
Warren,

Thanks so much for the reply.  I'll do a search for barbershop and see what comes up.