Skip to main content
Topic: No Midi Start/Stop??? (Read 3440 times) previous topic - next topic

No Midi Start/Stop???

I'm amazed that NWC still doesn't take Midi control signals from other midi devices. This really limits it's usefulness. I need to start & stop NWC using my drum machine (BOSS DR-880) which has foot switches for control. Now I have to export my NWC work to a MIDI file and import that into Cubase, configure Cubase to use my sampling program, then if I want to record it gets to be a real mess. If I need to make changes I have to repeat the process.

If NWC took midi start/Stop signals it would simplify things immensely. This would only be conforming to midi standards anyway. Why don't they do it?

Re: No Midi Start/Stop???

Reply #1
NWC responds to a small subset of MIDI events, generally those that it can store in a song file.

Roland defines START/STOP as:
Quote from: http://www.roland.com/faq/en/res/1832006/DR-880_FS_table_e.gif
Pattern/song playback will alternately start or stop each time you press the foot switch. Playback will start from the point at which it was stopped.
NWC does not support "Playback [...] from the point at which it was stopped."

Pause (i.e. playback from the stop point) has recently been added to the Viewer, but it is freeware and does not respond to realtime MIDI input. Perhaps you could find some software that maps realtime MIDI events to keyboard macros that could control the Viewer in a way that is useful. I doubt that it could maintain exact synch with other MIDI devices  ...
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
MIDI Start/STOP/Pause/Continue...etc...is all part of the MIDI 1.0 standard.

It really should be implemented in NWC. It would enhance NWC usefulness as a professional application.

Personally, I love NWC and have been using it since Windows95 days, I'd really hate to have to learn another sequencer application, but this really puts me in a bind.

I was kind of hoping the response would be more positive.

Reply #3
You haven't actually got a response from Noteworthy, just from Rick, one of our fellow users of the program.  

Having said that, you can always make your request on the Wishlist (available on Noteworthy's home page, I think), and maybe your request will get higher priority than the outstanding requests made more often by more users.