Skip to main content
Topic: Rudimental Drumming (Read 7728 times) previous topic - next topic

Rudimental Drumming

I arrange for a fife & drum corps (field music) which incorporates fife (previously discussed) and snare and bass drum played rudimentally. I was wondering has anyone out there come of with a way to right the rudimental drum parts so that the play back is as close to the true instrument as possible. If so, could you please share your information with me. THANK YOU!!!!

Re: Rudimental Drumming

Reply #1
I have used many music writing programs, but like finale the best.  If you want to hear the rudiments, finale's percussion voicing will play most of it.  However, you can just write it all out.  Use 32nd notes and 64th notes for flams and write out diddles and rolls with 32nd or 24th notes.  You just need to understand what the sound is and how it is metered.

Reply #2
On the Scriptorium is a piece called Black Bear which uses a hidden staff to play drumming, including rolls, and a visible staff to show, without playing, the traditional drum music notation. It also includes a fife part. The information included with the file has more information. It uses a couple of fonts available on the Scriptorium (details in the info). Note that I have a wish on the wish list to have a grace note property to selectively allow them to steal time from the preceding note. Currently they only steal time from the following note. That means they cannot be used for flams and drags. The hidden staff I used manually decreases time from the preceding note for this effect. It can be very tedious.

Reply #3
Was this thread really started 7 years ago? Anne, if you see this, get in touch with me, fathafluff@hotmail.com. I'm in the Village Volunteers Fife and Drum Corps, Delmar (near Albany) NY. What Corps are you with?