Skip to main content
Topic: trouble witn win7 and midi (Read 8938 times) previous topic - next topic

trouble witn win7 and midi

I've been using NWC since it was on a floppy.  So I think/thought I knew how to set the midi up to enter notes.
But a new computer and instead of XP pro ended up with win7
And even though NWC sees my midi interfaces midi entry isn't working and I've got 3 options and none are working.
Is there anyone who has run into this problem and if so did you find a solution?
Thanks
Jay

Re: trouble witn win7 and midi

Reply #1
I moved NWC from an XP laptop to a Win7 laptop about three weeks ago with no issues. (My old plug-in soundcard wouldn't work, so I'm having to rely on Windows sound until I can find a good substitute for the old card, but that's not a Win7/NWC compatibility thing.) Your post isn't specific enough to let me diagnose your problem, but here are some things to try:

- Is there something in the Devices Used by Playback box on the MIDI options tab? This box should have one, and only one, entry. The two standard options, which you'll find in the Available Play Devices box, are Microsoft MIDI Mapper and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth. Either of these should work; they actually (usually) go to the same place. If there's nothing in the "used by playback" box, highlight your choice in the "available" box and click the button labeled with an arrow pointing toward the "used by playback" box.

- On the same tab, is Port usage set to "always"? Any of the three options there should work, but the other two allow another program to take the soundcard away from NWC when it isn't being directly used, and the other program might not be willing to give it back.

- Is the problem limited to NWC, or are there other sound issues with the new computer? Can you play MIDI files with other programs (e.g., Windows Media Player)? If not, then your MIDI synth isn't working, and that's a different problem altogether.

If none of these addresses your problem, get back to us with the specifics of what you've tried and we'll see what else we can do.

Reply #2
Not sure how much information you really want but here goes-
a] I knew/know all of what you have written and have tried all the combinations of midi inputs available.
I believe the one thing that I must not have been clear about is playback is not the problem midi works fine in playback mode.
It is in entry mode that I have failed to get anything to work.
Additionally all of the modes that I have tried this time worked in xp.
So here goes.
Midi keyboard roland RD-1000 out
into (choose one)
FantomXR (synth voices) and midi thru to
PreSonus FP10 firewire midi in
or
midi in Juli@ 24/96 soundcard midi in interface.

As I say both the soundcard and the firewire box have worked in the past AND playback via NWC to FantomXR works now but nothing I have tried and still keeping the FantomXR allows keyboard input of notes.

So what next?
Thanks for your reply it helped clean up a confusion that I gave you.
Jay

Reply #3
You might check Tools->Options->Record for an 'Input Device:'
Quote from: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/help/TAB_OPTIONSRECORD.htm
Input Device
This box is used to designate a MIDI device driver that should be used for MIDI input and recording features. This generally requires that you have an external MIDI device, such as a MIDI keyboard, that is connected to your computer via a MIDI interface.

If you don't have one you might be able to configure one using Windows' Control Panel.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Thanks for the clarification, Jay. I wasn't clear that you were using a MIDI keyboard to input notes. Should have been able to infer it from your original post but didn't - my bad.

As Rick suggests, this sounds like a Win7/keyboard driver problem rather than a Win7/NWC problem. Unfortunately, a lot of legacy (read: XP and before) hardware doesn't work properly with Win7. Either the drivers haven't been updated at all, or they have been updated with only minimal functionality - the soundcard I mentioned earlier is an example. Have you checked to make sure there is a driver on board for the Roland, and - if so - that the driver implements all your keyboard's features?

Reply #5
Hello- unhappily I have answers and no solution.
All the 'input' devices show in the tools option boxes, that's why I'm so perplexed.
As for a driver for the Roland- I'm not sure why that would be needed- the midi into the FantomXR is working- I can hear it and the indicator light informs me that input is happening too.
NWC 'sees' the FantomXR as a midi record device and the FantomXR 'sees' the Roland but no notes appear on the screen when I press a key on the Roland.
Oh and the driver for the FantomXR is up to date.

So I'm stuck.

Unless I'm not understanding something that you are trying to point out to me (which I hope is the case- I'd much prefer that there was an error on my part.)

Jay

Reply #6
You might try MIDI-OX. If it can't see your MIDI keyboard input then the problem lies outside of NWC2.
This might also need MIDI-Yoke.

Reply #7
Umm, when you reinstalled NWC what settings have you changed WRT MIDI input?

Specifically in |Tools|Options|Record (tab).  What do you have for "Import Options" at the bottom of the dialogue box?  While it's been a while since I played with it, I have a feeling that if you have selected "Buffer Only" there is another step you must take before you will see the notes on screen.  I usually select "New Window".

The other things is make sure you're using a click track or recording stops after only a few seconds.  I'm not sure if "Step entry" affects this as I don't use it.

Also check MIDI port usage.  Should be wihle active or always.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
Rick-
Why would adding another layer (or two) between the program (NWC) and equipment that the program can already see and in play works fine help?
I used midi-yoke when I used garratan and even than what I am trying to get to work now worked better than midi-yoke.

I would like to understand your reason for suggesting this before I add another program to the mess.
thanks
jay

Lawrie- I'm not trying to record the way you mean.  Yes it doesn't work either but I would never enter music that way.
thanks
jay

Reply #9
Rick-
Why would adding another layer (or two) between the program (NWC) and equipment that the program can already see and in play works fine help?
I used midi-yoke when I used garratan and even than what I am trying to get to work now worked better than midi-yoke.

I would like to understand your reason for suggesting this before I add another program to the mess.
Your problem seems to be that NWC2 does not respond to its Record:'Input Device'.
If the same 'Input Device' shows up in MIDI-OX/Yoke and it won't respond it, it would seem to me that the problem is not within NWC2. My intent was to suggest that you try MIDI-OX/Yoke as a diagnostic, not that you would use it as "another layer (or two) between the program (NWC) and equipment that the program can already see and in play works fine."

Reply #10
Lawrie- I'm not trying to record the way you mean.  Yes it doesn't work either but I would never enter music that way.
thanks
G'day Jay,
given your statement above, I have no idea what you're trying to do. 

MIDI input from an external keyboard is MIDI input from an external keyboard.  You need the keyboard, connected to a MIDI interface in the PC, that interface configured as a MIDI input device in NWC (possibly but not necessarily via a soft cable like MIDIyoke) and have NWC record from said MIDI input.  It is also possible for NWC to play back what you are inputing too but this does not seem to be your problem.

If this does not describe what you are basically trying to do then just what is it that you are trying to achieve??? (picture a confused, bearded face)

One thought that just crossed my mind...  You do have the MIDI OUT of the keyboard plugged into the MIDI IN of the interface don't you?  This is an easy mistake to make and overlook.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #11
Rick-
ok I installed midi-ox it 'sees' all the elements but then doesn't show anything responding- even though three of them are doing so-
so I guess the trouble is elsewhere but it's got me totally confused as I haven't changed any part of the set up except the new computer.
Just means I go back to entering everything note by note like I used to.

Thanks for trying to help
Jay

Reply #12
....I haven't changed any part of the set up except the new computer....

That's a little like saying you haven't changed anything about the steering wheel except the new car ;-)

Vista and Win7 are built on a wholly different architectural model than earlier Windows releases. It's like going from Win3.1 to Win95....or DOS to Win3.1. It isn't any great surprise that things don't continue to work the way they used to with the same setup. Check everything you've installed and make sure it's Win7 compatible (there are differences between Vista and Win7 that can foul up device drivers). Chances are your problem is in there somewhere.

Re: trouble with win7 and midi

Reply #13
William-
ok I get the joke/problem (I'm guessing the the problem is worse jumping from xp-pro to win7 as I am doing)
however- what do you think I'm missing?
I loaded all new drivers for all the externals, win7 says that they are all working-
I've re-examined my connections about 15 times (which does not mean they aren't the problem),
which is why I wrote-I don't exactly know what to check next.

Thanks for thesmile- weather here is misery-
jay

Re: trouble witn win7 and midi new info

Reply #14
maybe I just don't understand something in NWCv-2.
I have never used because to my mind and the way I work, it's useless- the record fuction of NWC.
So I've always used my midi keyboard to enter chords or notes one by one.
Just now I tried the 'record' function and it works- I still would never use it I don't compose that way or think that way but it seems like I now have a slightly different question/problem-
how do I enter the notes like I am used to? From the midi keyboard so that they appear in the score as I play each one individually?

seems like I'm getting closer? I know that one has to ask the right question to get the correct answer.

thanks for your patience
jay

Reply #15
Lets take this one step at a time.

Under TOOLS>MIDI INPUT ACTIVE you have enabled this function?
Under TOOLS>OPTIONS>MIDI (Tab) you have selected a functioning output device?
Under TOOLS>OPTIONS>RECORD (Tab) you have selected the input device that corresponds with your keyboard?

Barry Graham
Melbourne, Australia

Re: trouble witn win7 and midi-sucess!!!

Reply #17
I had to change a bunch of settings in the externals and then found that the midi input had been turned off (it wasn't last I had looked so no excuses and no explanation) too

But thank you all again for the patience to follow through on this.

Much appreciated
Jay

Reply #19
in nwc it wasn't (off , I had checked-like I wrote I have been using the program for a long time ) during my other attempts so somehow it got turned off in all of my trying to get it to work-
in fact I had checked a couple of times during all these messages but it's on now and has stayed on whew
jay