Skip to main content
Topic: multiple repeat to coda third time (Read 4896 times) previous topic - next topic

multiple repeat to coda third time

I'm transcribing a piece of music in which the middle portion is repeated three times, but in the middle of the third repeat one jumps to a coda.

It just occurred to me as I started this post (funny how often that happens) that I can probably get the desired effect by treating the portion of the repeat after the "to coda" as a 1st and 2nd special ending, and the coda as a 3rd special ending. Is there a cuter way?

Thanks,
Mark

Re: multiple repeat to coda third time

Reply #1
G'day Mark,
that'll work.  Or, you could use a 1st ending with a repeat, 2nd ending with a DS al CODA with the Segno at the open repeat sign and then the To Coda will jump to the section with a Coda symbol...

If the sections after the To Coda directive are relatively short, say not more than 3 or 4 bars, then I would use your method.

BTW, welcome to the forum.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
If there are no lyrics to worry about, this might work:
Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:C
|TimeSig|Signature:2/4
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-1
|Flow|Style:Segno|Pos:14|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatOpen
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:0
|Flow|Style:ToCoda|Pos:9|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:1
|Bar
|Ending|Endings:1,2
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:2
|Ending|Endings:2|Visibility:Never
|Flow|Style:DSalCoda|Pos:14|Justify:Right|Placement:AtNextNote
|Ending|Endings:1|Visibility:Never
|Bar|Style:MasterRepeatClose|SysBreak:Y
|Flow|Style:Coda|Pos:9|Placement:AtNextNote
|Bar|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:3
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Rick's example reveals what I've never thought to comment on before.  The flow direction commands take up too much horizontal space.

D.S. (sign) al Coda,
for instance, would be easier to interpret in a printed sheet of music if it were a right justified 3 line block:
D.S.<break>(sign) <break> al Coda.  

To Coda (gunsight)  
would be better as right justified
To Coda <break>  (gunsight)  

or
 To <break> Coda <break>  (gunsight)

Such a modification would make it clearer to the reader exactly where the flow direction should occur.

While I think of it, it isn't necessary to embed the sign in the D.S. command, the words are sufficient.  Similarly, the coda itself doesn't need the word Coda, it just needs the gunsight.

Reply #4
it isn't necessary to embed the sign in the D.S. command, the words are sufficient.  Similarly, the coda itself doesn't need the word Coda, it just needs the gunsight.

I think I always (or almost...) saw the D.S. command with the sign and the coda with only the word "coda" and no gunsight.
I saw also "D.S. [sign] al [gunsight] poi Coda" (from [sign] to [gunsight] then Coda).

Reply #5
Apologies to all for not posting thanks sooner -- I was on the road and left my login information at home!

For present purposes, Lawrie's suggestion seems spot on, but I want to check out Rick's -- I generally wean myself from GUI dependence, and it would be nice to do it with NWC too. As to the other issue, my impression is that the NWC defaults for labeling dal segnos etc. attempt to harmonize various conventions in a way that everyone should be able to make some sense out of, but I agree with David that they look clunky. (But I don't recall ever seeing a three-line block; of course, there's a lot I haven't seen. Does that already exist in the wild?)

Cheers,
Mark