Skip to main content
Topic: Three simple formatting questions: (Read 4053 times) previous topic - next topic

Three simple formatting questions:

Hey there! I have a couple quick questions regarding Noteworthy Composer 2.

1) Is it possible to turn ties upside down WITHOUT changing the note's orientation? In other words, can I have an upward-curving tie between two upward-facing notes?
2) Can I lower / resize the flow directions (eg 1st ending) so that it is both closer to the staff, and perhaps not as long?
3) When printing, is there a way to make the music smaller? I have a short piano-only song, but it's taking about 5 pages, 'cause the staffs are simply so big.

Thanks!

Re: Three simple formatting questions:

Reply #1
1) The direction of slurs (and ties) is controlled by the first slurred (or tied) note. It can be set by highlighting that note, pressing <alt><enter> to bring up the "properties" dialog box, and choosing "upward," "downward," or "default" in the drop-down list under either "slur direction" or "tie direction."

2) The distance of the special ending marks from the score is controlled by the upper boundary of the visual staff space. Make sure the staff your special endings are on is the active staff; press F2 to bring up the "staff properties" dialog box; choose the "visual" tab; and enter your preferred size in the "upper boundary" spinner. (The number here is the number of spaces above the staff that will be included in the overall space controlled by that staff.) There is currently no native way to control the length of a special ending mark, although there are some workarounds to do this.

3) The size of the printed score is controlled in the "page setup" dialog. Click on the button that looks like an open book to bring up this dialog, choose the "fonts" tab, and use the "change" button under "staff metrics" to enter a staff size you like.

HTH -

Bill

Reply #2
Welcome to the forum. This is similar to what Bill wrote, but with some liks you may find useful.

1) Is it possible to turn ties upside down WITHOUT changing the note's orientation? In other words, can I have an upward-curving tie between two upward-facing notes?
Yes. Select the first note/chord with a tie. Under Properties...->Notes, change 'Tie Direction:' to 'Upward'. For more options, see: Custom Tie Directions

2) Can I lower / resize the flow directions (eg 1st ending) so that it is both closer to the staff, and perhaps not as long?
The vertical position of Special Endings follow the Upper Vertical Size of Staff properties.

3) When printing, is there a way to make the music smaller? I have a short piano-only song, but it's taking about 5 pages, 'cause the staffs are simply so big.
Staff size is set with the Page Setup Command. Fonts->'Change...'
Change the 'Staff Size:' to something reasonable like 18 or 16. Odd values are accepted but don't do anything useful.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Awesome. Thanks so much!

Also, for future reference, it wasn't called "Staff Size" but rather "Staff Metrics" or something like that. I already closed NWC :P

Thanks!

Reply #4
G'day Dekudude,
FWIW, Staff Size is the old NWC1.xx name and was accessed from the |Page Setup|Options (Tab), Staff Metrics is what it was renamed to in 2.0 and accessed via the |Page Setup|Fonts (Tab)

As you can imagine, some of us "old hands" may get the names mixed up sometimes...  ;)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Staff Size is the old NWC1.xx name and was accessed from the |Page Setup|Options (Tab), Staff Metrics is what it was renamed to in 2.0
"Staff Size" is still used by NWC2.+
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
Oops, but it is still called "Staff Metrics" in the preceding dialogue...  ;P
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.