Skip to main content
Topic: Noteworthy on XP? (nwcv17.ttf again!) (Read 35346 times) previous topic - next topic

Noteworthy on XP? (nwcv17.ttf again!)

Does noteworthy work on XP? I've put nwcv15.ttf into c:\windows\fonts and the error message still comes up asking for nwcv17.ttf. What do i do?

Re: Noteworthy on XP? (nwcv17.ttf again!)

Reply #1

NWC works without problem on XP Pro.

Reply #2
I've not had any problems on XP Home either.

Robin

Reply #3
Did you just copy the file into 'fonts'?  I don't think that fonts will be able to use it unless you "install" it.  Up under the 'file' menu is the 'install font' option.

Hope this helps - Hank

Reply #4
No problem on XP, with or without SP1.

Others who have had that problem seem to have fixed it by re-boot after install.

I don't know the details of this, but guessing from the symptoms, it seems that under certain circumstances Windows installs a font, but fails to inform programs that the font has just been installed. NWC is not alone.

Reply #5
I copied NWC15.ttf and renamed it to NWC17.ttf in the same
folder and now XP runs Noteworthy just fine.

Reply #6
I don't think that will resolve the old issue with the font.

The best approach is to simply use the latest version of NWC, which has the correct error message (referencing the font name as NWCV15), and includes some automatic recreation/install of the font when it is missing.

Reply #7
In general, re-naming a font file doesn't work. If it works in this case, that's a peculiarity (and as NWC explained, there is a better solution).

For fonts, the font name is read internally from the file. It need not be the same as the font file name.

Reply #8
Bingo ! I installed 1.75b and the font problem in XP has indeed cleared up as promised. Nice job and another reminder of how far NWC has come in the past few years! I have not found any other music software that comes even close to NWC for the price.

Reply #9
hi. I'm at school at the moment and we have noteworthy installed on the computers. I want to use it but it says that the font isn't available. is anybody able to email it to me? I've tried changing the nwcv15.ttf file to nwcv17.ttf, but it won't let me. Any help is appreciated.

steph
(stephanie.van.ros.00@peh.tas.edu.au)

Reply #10
Reinstalling Noteworthy fixes it nicely - but that only works if you have an original CD. If the school has one or more legal copies, that should be no problem. (big ;-) )
If not, do not change ttf15, just install it, never mind the name! Control panel, Fonts, Install new font, and select nwcv15.ttf . Never fails.

Reply #11
General info: In most cases, a "font name" is internal to the font file. It doesn't matter what the "file name" is. For example, if you take a font named "Angel" and change its file name from "Angel.ttf" to "Devil.ttf" it is still the "Angel" font, as recognized by Windows, because the system looks inside the font.

Reply #12
NWC will be run without any problems.

Can not get it to install the font by simply running.

Reply #13
The issue here was a problem with a specific NWC 1.75 release from many years ago. It is probably a good idea to move up to NWC version 2.1. You can try it here:

NoteWorthy Composer - Download Evaluation