Skip to main content
Topic: Direction of ties after transposition (Read 20811 times) previous topic - next topic

Direction of ties after transposition

Sometimes I take a tune written in the treble clef and 'move' the notes up or down the staff so that they read correctly (obviously at a different octave) in the new bass clef once I have also changed the treble clef symbol to a bass clef syymbol. I observe that any ties between notes do not automatically change from 'going up' to 'going down' or vice versa as might be needed given that the notes have change position on the staff. I can rememdy this by removing each tie and replacing it, one at a time, but this is of course time consuming. Is there a 'audit tie direction' command I can invoke which will do this for me?

Re: Direction of ties after transposition

Reply #1
G'day David,
automatic tie and slur direction is associated with stem direction.  If you do a stem audit (|Tools|Audit|Audit Note Stems) you should find most of 'em fixed up...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
But if there are any "manual" ties or slurs (i.e. they've been forced to upward or downward), the stem audit will not fix these I don't think.  Overrides of stem lengths would also not be fixed appropriately, if needed to account for vertical shifting.  I could write a quick user tool to restore all such manual overrides to their defaults, but I'm sure someone else could do it better than me.  :-)

Reply #3
User tools? Here we are talking about version 1.75! :-)

Reply #4
Thanks for these answers. I see now that I posed the wrong question. Lawrie's solution works if you've just done a move. What I meant to ask was how to correct the problem if I've just done a transpose. Then I find (and I've checked it just now) that some ties may be wrong, but a stem-direction audit does not fix the problem. It does correct the stem directions but the ties may remain wrong.

However this messing around has allowed me to find an answer - perhaps of use to someone else in the big Noteworthy world out there. If you select the whole staff (perhaps excepting clef, key and time-signatures) and move the whole lot up one position and back down a position - viola! The tie directions audit themselves.

Reply #5
If you select the whole staff (perhaps excepting clef, key and time-signatures) and move the whole lot up one position and back down a position - viola! The tie directions audit themselves.
Or just press F9
Transpose this down 2 semis:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0^
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Quote from: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/nwc2/help/HELP_ONKEYBOARD.htm
F9
Redraws (refresh) the active score
Ctrl+F9Redraws (refresh) the active staff
Registered user since 1996