Skip to main content
Topic: Note Conflict [as notehead shape] (Read 5448 times) previous topic - next topic

Note Conflict [as notehead shape]

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:0x
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:0x|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:0X
|Chord|Dur:4th|Pos:0X!1|Opts:Stem=Down|Dur2:4th|Pos2:0x!2
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

As notehead shape or color, we can see them conflict.
NWC User since 2008

Re: Note Conflict [as notehead shape]

Reply #1
I'm guessing you're comparing these to the cases where 2 notes with the same position but different durations are in a chord - in those cases NWC splits out the notes side-by-side instead of overlaying them.  And you're thinking that NWC should similarly split out 2 notes with the same position and the same duration but different notehead styles and/or colors?  Of course, you could always split them out yourself, using layering where one note (typically the stem down one) would have an extra note space.  But perhaps it would be nicer if NWC split such mismatched notes by default, and forced layering to be used instead when overlaid mismatched notes were desired (which seems far rarer to me).

Reply #2
Some additional observations:

- The above ignores the special case of 2 whole notes at the same position, which is always split out, even if the notehead styles and colors are the same.  This is presumably the standard due to the lack of any stems to indicate otherwise that there are 2 notes there.

- If a quarter note or shorter is combined with another quarter note or shorter of different duration, with both at the same position, in theory, they could be overlaid just as if they were the same duration, since the stems tell the entire story of what notes are there.  I assume there is a standard that dictates only same-duration notes be overlaid.

- Because a whole note is enlarged to the right side, it will not be perfectly side-by-side when combined with a non-whole note at the same position.  Depending on whether the whole note is "stem up" (appearing first) or "stem down" (appearing second), the two notes either overlap a bit or have a small space between them.

Reply #3
I assume there is a standard that dictates only same-duration notes be overlaid.
Not a rigid standard. This is standard and unambiguous:
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.0)
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"
|StaffProperties|Layer:Y
|StaffProperties|Channel:1
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First,Muted
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff-1"
|StaffProperties|BoundaryTop:10|BoundaryBottom:10
|StaffProperties|Volume:-1|StereoPan:-1|Channel:1
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposer-End