Skip to main content
Topic: Can't open NWC files after upgrading from WinXP to Win7 (Read 3006 times) previous topic - next topic

Can't open NWC files after upgrading from WinXP to Win7

Hello, I am trying to help out my priest recover 2 1/2 years of noteworthy files.  After he upgraded his windows machine from Windows XP to Windows 7, his noteworthy files stopped working.  The program itself seems to work fine in Windows 7 and he is able to create new files just fine.  But when he opens one of his older files, he gets the following error message: "This file failed to open.  It either does not exist or may be corrupted,"  and there is also a message at the bottom of the screen, below the piano keyboard: "Checking file for improper binary to ascii conversion."

I copied all of his NWC abd BAK files on a flash drive and tried installing Noteworthy 2.1 on both my Windows XP machine and my Windows 7 machine, hoping that I might be able to open either some of his .NWC or .BAK files, but I get the exact same error.  Can anyone help out?  Is there any way to get back his files?

In appreciation of any help anyone might be able to offer,

Peg

Re: Can't open NWC files after upgrading from WinXP to Win7

Reply #1
there is also a message at the bottom of the screen, below the piano keyboard: "Checking file for improper binary to ascii conversion."

This would tend to indicate that these files are not actually *.nwc files, but it could also indicate a file permission problem or other issue. If you send a copy of one of the failing *.nwc files to our support via an e-mail attachment, we can review it and e-mail our impressions back to you.