Skip to main content
Topic: Accenting Notes (Read 4486 times) previous topic - next topic

Accenting Notes

I would like to notate rhythm tracks and be able to accent notes as needed.  For example:  Triplet eighth notes:
Accent first note with following 2 eighth note at a lower volume level.  I would like to have a very distinctive accent on the first note in the triplet.

Hoping I have explained myself.

Thanks for any help.

Re: Accenting Notes

Reply #1
Until someone gives you a more detailed response, have a look at "multipoint controller" to create the differences. Once you do it for a group of notes, you can copy/paste the group elsewhere, and move the note pitches as needed.

Reply #2
I use accents all the time in snare drum parts, without using multi-point controllers. Simply click the Accent (>) button before placing the note, or select an existing note(s) and click the accent. (...Now, if they could only get grace notes to lead the beat...)

Reply #3
Both reply 1 and reply 2 are good advice.  I find MPC's hard to understand, however, and I'm not sure if the use of the accent > really gives as much expression as Don wants.

Another way, then, similar to both these techniques, is to just use hidden dynamics.

Put f or ff immediately before the first note in the group, then hide it.  Then put p or pp immediately before the second note, and hide it.  MPC is probably preferable, but as I say, I am never sure I can handle the MPC.

Since it will be tedious to do the exercise many times, I agree the copying of the figure, and adjusting the pitch as needed, is a good approach.

Reply #4
Meant to say, use the accent figure on the first note too, so the person reading the part will know to play it the right way.

Reply #5
Thanks to all that have suggested a solution.

I have found that the multi-point converter allows me control over the volume of  a note from silent to full volume.  Range to use is 0-127

Reply #6
Both reply 1 and reply 2 are good advice.  I find MPC's hard to understand, however, and I'm not sure if the use of the accent > really gives as much expression as Don wants.

Another way, then, similar to both these techniques, is to just use hidden dynamics.

Put f or ff immediately before the first note in the group, then hide it.  Then put p or pp immediately before the second note, and hide it.  MPC is probably preferable, but as I say, I am never sure I can handle the MPC.

Since it will be tedious to do the exercise many times, I agree the copying of the figure, and adjusting the pitch as needed, is a good approach.

how does one hide a dynamic?

Reply #7
G'day gary,
welcome to the forum.

Hiding dynamics is the same as hiding anything else.  Every object on the staff has it's own range of properties accessible from it's properties dialogue (highlight the object(s), then press <Alt+Enter>), find the visibility tab and then select "Never" in the "Show on printed page" list box.  Itwill still be visible in the edit view - press <F11> to see it in viewer mode which will "dissapear" anything that doesn't print.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.