Skip to main content
Topic: octave transpositions ("8va") (Read 15848 times) previous topic - next topic

octave transpositions ("8va")

Ijust posted the following message to the Wish List:

{It would be nice to have the ability to create 8va markings in the traditional style ("8va-|" followed by a dashed line above the notes). Best implementation would be to select the notes you want to raise (or lower) an octave, and then click a button.}

Has anyone found an easy way to kludge this? Performers don't generally care for the simple clef with an 8 superscript that NWC currently uses, as it doesn't continue to remind one to transpose. Boxmarks has an 8va figure, but it doesn't extend very far and doesn't mesh well, in my experience, with text dashes as extensions.

Re: octave transpositions ("8va")

Reply #1
G'day William,
while its not perfect, I usually use 4 text entries:

• The first is a centre justified 8va placed left of the first note in the section.
  • The next is a left justified row of ---- that is shorter than I need and placed immediately after the first note of the section.
  • The third is the Boxmark symbol to finish the 8va section, this is centre justified at next note/bar and placed just prior to the last note of the section.
  • The last is another row of ---- but which is right justified to just between the symbol from point 3 and the last note and long enough to overlap the row in point 2.
All vertical positioning is set for correct alignment.

Sometimes I can dispense with point 4 but this takes some judicious use of print preview.

I fully agree that a formal 8va, 8va bassa and 15ma function would be preferable.

Lawrie
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Thanks, Lawrie. I use roughly the same procedure. Let's both hope for something better.

Reply #4
Another way is to write, "All'ottava" (or ottava alta or ottava sopra) at the beginning of the section, and "loco" at the point when you want to go back to the notes as written.  This is a perfectly acceptable convention. The other way, it would be "All'ottava" underneath, or ottava bassa, or ottava sotto.

Reply #5
I'd also like to request the ability to shift two octaves, though there's slightly less conventon fo rthat. 16va, 15va - I suspect it ought to be 15ma, really - as well as clefs with little 15s above and below 'em.

[Also, whilst I'm asking: Mezzo soprano clefs, and the other rare C-clefs of that sort? Pretty please?

Reply #6
I'd also like to request the ability to shift two octaves, though there's slightly less conventon fo rthat. 16va, 15va - I suspect it ought to be 15ma, really - as well as clefs with little 15s above and below 'em.

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Instrument|Name:"8va"|Trans:12|Pos:6|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Instrument|Name:"15ma"|Trans:24|Pos:6|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Instrument|Name:"loco"|Trans:0|Pos:6|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
Thanks, Lawrie. I use roughly the same procedure.

Reply #8
Hi mariajames,
welcome to the forum.  If you look at my *Dings font suites, the title font in each suite has some even better characters for this now.  Check the Scripto, or if you have the NWC2 CD then you find the "Pardypack" on there.

Reply #9
Has something happened to this thread?  It is a big jump from 1996.

Tony

Reply #10
G'day Tony,
dunno 'bout '96, but it was started in '06 - and there was a post today from a new forum member, so I replied to it...