Skip to main content
Topic: Webpage to create a guitar chord (Read 21115 times) previous topic - next topic

Webpage to create a guitar chord

I am working on a webpage to create a guitar chord from a fingering diagram here and hope to add a pulldown to allow the user to select just the name of the chord and the fingering diagram will be filled in.  Thus far the chord diagrams I found on the web aren't that easy to read--I'm open to suggestions as to links to chords or any thing on the webpage.

This is my first attempt to create a webpage related to NWC since doing the Twelve Tone Row.

TIA

P.S. Moved link from old website.
PPS. Moved again.
Since 1998

Re: Webpage to create a guitar chord

Reply #1
Warren,

Not sure exactly what you are looking for - but here is one that I have in my favourites (I had it there for the keyboard chords, not the guitar chords)

http://chordfind.com/

Rich.

Reply #2
There is a very complete chart here with clickable subcharts giving alternate fingerings. The size is a little small, but you can adjust the viewing scale on your browser (FF and IE, anyway: not sure about others).

Keep me posted on this, Warren, and send me a PM if you have any questions about specific fingerings. Looks like an interesting project.

Bill

Reply #3
Thanks for the links, they will be useful.

I've entered the 20 "open" chords I found, but I am not sure how to order/include the rarer chords: All A chords together, then Bb, B, C, etc. or put the rarer chords all at the back?  Use a different way to reference the chords (2 layers of drilldown for example).
Since 1998

Reply #4
I've added an option to insert a hidden arpeggio on the page.  Since adding the counter I've noted someone whose internet service comes thru Sacramento CA has used it a lot.

I needed some help with the code, this is the discussion on the Javascript forum. For JMRKER's version, change the link to guitar1.htm.  Edited change:  A modification of his suggestion is my new page.
Since 1998

Reply #5
Warren, are you wanting to insert a fingering diagram for the chord, spell out the chord in standard notation with guitar voicing, create a realistic strum, or some combination of these, or none of the above?

The arpeggiation function is better than nothing for strummed guitar chords, but an arpeggio with uniform rhythm spread out over the chord and no differentiation between down and up strums will not give a realistic-sounding guitar strum.  This may or may not be useful for your purposes, but I made a NWC 1.75 file of strummed guitar chords in open and barrred voicings arpeggiated as a guitarist (myself, for instance) would play them.  It can be found on the NWC Scriptorium's Helpful Files as GuitarStrum.zip at:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful/guitarstrum.zip

The zip file includes both fast and slow strums (guitarists spread out the arpeggio slightly differently at different tempi) as well as a Read Me help file.  HTH!

Reply #6
I bought my wife a coffee table book about Bob Dylan and it also has his songs with one stave with words and the name of the chord with the diagram from time to time.  Although there are four guitar players in the family, it is not my instrument and I would like to make it as useful as possible to real guitar players.

When I was working on my twelve tone row page, I was told some changes were easy enough to make once the clipboard had been posted back to NWC.  I'll check your links on scriptorium and make sure my defaults are close to the industry norm.

I had started with just radio buttons for each string then added twenty well known chords.  The radio buttons are there if someone needs to override my fingerings for a chord I haven't added yet.  I don't see a way of adding a fingering diagram to NWC but adding the name of the chord as a text may come later.

Thus far Mr. Tambourine Man sounded OK (to me anyway) and used no chords outside of my table.  I'll add new chords when I can find a better way to select them--a two hundred item dropdown box might not be the best way.
Since 1998

Reply #7
The arpeggiation function is better than nothing for strummed guitar chords, but an arpeggio with uniform rhythm spread out over the chord and no differentiation between down and up strums will not give a realistic-sounding guitar strum.  This may or may not be useful for your purposes, but I made a NWC 1.75 file of strummed guitar chords in open and barrred voicings arpeggiated as a guitarist (myself, for instance) would play them.  It can be found on the NWC Scriptorium's Helpful Files as GuitarStrum.zip at:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful/guitarstrum.zip

The zip file includes both fast and slow strums (guitarists spread out the arpeggio slightly differently at different tempi) as well as a Read Me help file.  HTH!
I downloaded the zip file and see what you mean.  Since then I've replaced the arpeggio check box with a set of three strum radio buttons so the user can choose "Strum Down" when necessary.

The name of the chord is inserted in a new text area near the lower right side when you select a chord from the pulldown.  You can insert your own name for a chord not in my table before generating nwctxt now.

If you need to change the length of the chords or the hidden cues all the time, I can add some more options for these.

Hope this helps.
Since 1998

Reply #8
Just added FretQwik diagrams as an option when set up as user font 1.  Placement of the diagram is at -18 now but I am open to suggestions, overrides, etc.
Since 1998

Reply #9
It now has options for the user font for FretQwik as well as the position of the chord name and fret diagram.  Whatever options you choose will be saved for three months in a cookie.
Since 1998

Reply #10
I have created a new web page to move the name of chords from the guitar line to the lyric line when the guitar staff is hidden to save space.
The website is MoveChord.htm and is my first attempt to manipulate two staves (text area windows on the page) at once.

The first phrase in the attached file can be run through the webpage to produce the 2nd or 3rd phrase.

Feedback welcome.
Since 1998

Reply #11
Warren,
I downloaded your page to use off-line.
When I tried it I got "Guitar cookie missing, need location of chord text".
What does it means? What's looking for exactly?

N.B. I suggest writing "demo" on the relevant check box.
I was wondering what was it for...

Reply #12
It reads the cookie created by the Guitar.htm page.  If you have run Guitar within the last three months, you won't get a prompt for the position.  This is the position of the chord name and the default is (+) 10.

P.S. Just fixed the problem with the checkbox.  I doubt anyone would want to move the fret diagram to the lyric staff, but it could be done by erasing the cookie and entering -18 (or whatever it was changed to) in the prompt.

Thanks for your interest.
Since 1998

Reply #13
Thank you for the explication.
I never used "Guitar.htm" and I was very puzzled.

P.S. Just fixed the problem with the checkbox.

Well, I simply suggested to have a caption for the checkbox.
I still can't see any.

Reply #14
Well, I simply suggested to have a caption for the checkbox.
I still can't see any.
While I am working on a webpage I like to have test data readily available while the page is still on my computer (first four characters of "document.location" will read file).  Once it is uploaded, file won't be there and the checkbox will be hidden.  If I have to make changes to it later on I won't need to uncomment the way I bring up test data or recomment just before upload.
Since 1998

Reply #15
Very good, but with a small catch: the checkbox is not hidden!

Reply #16
Very good, but with a small catch: the checkbox is not hidden!
Just refreshed it and tried it with IE (I normally use Firefox).  You are right, I am going to check into that.

Also, I just updated the stuff behind the "How to Use" button.

P.S. The checkbox is fixed.  I'll be looking at similar checkboxes in other pages as time allows.
Since 1998