Skip to main content
Topic: Umlauts in lyrics (Read 5159 times) previous topic - next topic

Umlauts in lyrics

Does anyone know of a workaround to include bit-8-high ASCII characters in the lyric editor? I'd like to put umlauted characters (working on a German opera...) in the text editor. Normally I would clip the character to the clipboard using the Character Map applet in Accessories, then paste it in. But there doesn't seem to be an Edit->Paste menu in the lyric editor. Any ideas? (Short of converting Windows to German...)

Re: Umlauts in lyrics

Reply #1
Ctrl-V worked for me!

A

Reply #2
Oh. I mean, duh...!

Thanks, Andrew.

Reply #3
Or use the appropriate Alt + xxxx

Reply #5
Peter's reply is the best way I've found. Remember to hold down the ALT key while keying the numeric code on the *keypad* keys, then release the ALT. I don't want to do the whole table here but: 129 ü, 130 é, 131 â, 132 ä, 133 à, 134 å, 135 ç, 136 ê, 137 ë, 138 è, 139 ï, 140 î, 141 ì, 142 Ä, 143 Å, 144 É, 145 æ, 146 Æ, 147 ô, 148 ö, 149 ò, 150 û, 151 ù, 152 ÿ, 153 Ö, 154 Ü, 155 ¢ . . . up to 255 which is supposed to be a blank character.

Gene

Reply #6
Caution, in charmap (character map appication) the numeric code is given on 4 digits, and the leading zero DOES matter!!

Alt 0233 is "é", but Alt 233 is "Ú". (resp. é and Ú in HTML code)

As this may vary on fonts (and/or windows' localization), you should check them by yourself to find out which are real values (always the one given by charmap).

And Ctrl-V (or good old Shift-Insert) works in Lyric window, as well as Ctrl-insert, Shift-Del (^C, ^X).

Reply #7
Thanks, all. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't even know about the ALT xxxx trick... I guess I'm still learning something new every day.

btw - the Cntrl V approach works fine, but is a little clunky if you have several different special character requirements.

Reply #8
marsu wrote:
> Alt 0233 is "é", but Alt 233 is "Ú"

"é" is at position 233 in ISO Latin 1 (ISO 8859-1), but do you know in which character set the character #233 is "Ú" ? Maybe in MS-DOS 8bits table ?

By the way, on my unix station, only Alt 233 works ! Ok, I don't have NWC on this machine :-)

Reply #9
I had to deal with this problem yesterday. Yeah, ctrl-v
works. Yeah, I eventually thought of it, and, yeah, I was
pleased to see that it worked when I thought of it.

But: my fingers know the emacs commands much better than
the windows commands. Rather than try to remember the
windows not-so-long cuts I generally look at the menu. Then,
if I'm doing several of the same functions, I might notice
the alternate,control,shift,key,stand-on-head-and-
insert-elbow-in-ear sequences.

Now, this works fine in the music window. But, in the lyrics
window, all I get is "beep" when I go to the menu. It was
somewhat frustrating, since I knew that the menu would also
tell me the keystroke that I could use in the absence of the
menu.... I would probably have given up if I had not dimly
remembered that I had managed to do this several months
earlier.

So: please, at least put a "help" button in the lyrics dialog, if you can't get the "Edit" menu to work.

Reply #10
The "alt" sequences do work in the Lyric Box.

Try checking

1. You are using the numeric keypad

2. You type a leading zero. So alt 0235 gives "ë" (see it works here as well!) whereas alt 235 gives "_" ???!!!

HTH
Peter

Reply #11
In Windows 95 (I can't speak for any other OS) there is an option someplace which allows the entry for most accented characters using simulated overstrikes.

I am not sure how I set this, but my "keyboard" setting under language is "US - International", so perhaps this is it. I also have defined my code page as 850, which contains many more accented characters than the default (437?), but lacks a lot of the box characters, which I don't us.

The way it works: one types one of the following, ' ` ~ " ^ followed by an alphabetic character. If the pair "makes sense" then an accented characher results, other wise the accent character is entered followed by the next character typed. Thus:

'a => á
'c => ç
~n => ñ
`e => è
"o => ö
^a => â

If you want one of the leading combinations above, e.g. 'e, you must type a space after the ', which will NOT appear in the text. Some of the above examples may not display correctly if you are not using code page 850 (for example I'm think that õ, an o with a tilda over it, will not).

Cyril