Skip to main content
Topic: Can NWC 2.5 export in 1.75 format? (Read 11034 times) previous topic - next topic

Can NWC 2.5 export in 1.75 format?

It would seem that, unlike NWC 2.2, NWC 2.5 cannot export Files in NWC 1.75 format.  If so, then I find that disastrous.

Is it so?

MusicJohn, 17/Jan/12

Re: Can NWC 2.5 export in 1.75 format?

Reply #1
NWC 2.5 cannot export Files to NWC 1.75 format. I find it unsurprising. Much has been added that has no meaning in NWC 1.75
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2

And 2.5 Files cannot be exported to 2.2 format, or be read by 2.2.

This is not good.  Indeed, for those of us dynosaurs still working in 1.75, this is a disaster!

And as Richard points out in a separate thread, exporting from 2.5 to Midi, and then importing, is not the answer!

MusicJohn, 18/Jan/12

Reply #3
If it is at all financially possible, you should really try to upgrade.
You are missing out on very many improvements.

Reply #4
   I have upgraded (that's how I know it doesn't work).

MusicJohn, 18/Jan/12

Reply #5
John, have you tried saving as .nwctxt and then importing that into 2.2? I no longer have 2.2 on my machine, so I'm not sure if that would work. If it doesn't, perhaps copying each staff as cliptext and pasting them individually into 2.2 might do the job.

That said, I have to agree that lack of backward compatibility is an issue. Even Microsoft continued to give us the opportunity to save in .doc (or in .rtf, or even in .txt) after they converted Word to save in .docx by default. You lose a few things when you save in an old format, and that is to be expected, but you gain the possibility of having your work read by a wider variety of users. Would I go back to 2.2? Not on your life! But I would like to have the option of sharing scores with those who are still using older versions, even if the scores looked somewhat different on their machines than on mine.

Reply #7
I don't understand why everyone doesn't upgrade. Isn't it a free upgrade from 2.x to 2.5? And from 1.75, I think it's only about the cost of two cups of Starbucks ($15). Micro$oft upgrades are much more!

Reply #8

Rick et al, you sound just like Microsoft.  "Why could you possibly want your nice new shiny Win7 to look like the 95/98/XP that you know and love"?  Win7 is all you'll ever need!"

Some of us want what we know, and do not understand why "it" is not an available option.  And in this case, why can't the Noteworthy cursor be nice and thick and visible?  Why can't 2.5 export to 1.75 (or, indeed, 2.2), even if this means having to do without some bells and whistles?

"I have XP looking like Windows 95", I think you said!

MusicJohn, 18/Jan/12

Reply #9
   Rick et al, you sound just like Microsoft.
You are not listening well. I express no opinion here as to the need to export to NWC 1.75, I simply find it unsurprising for the reason I gave. NWC 2.2 does not exist, so no one can "go back to it."

Reply #11

The lack of backward compatibility surprised me. Since I have 2 computers here, one with 2.5 and the other with 2.2, I can confirm that exporting to .nwctxt, using the export in 2.2, gives the backward compatibility. You can see that some features are not supported in 2.2, but it is easy to clean up. 2 ticks.

I use Noteworthy mainly for distribution of rehearsal pieces. Some choir members have 1.75, others use a plug-in in their browser, still others have an illegal copy of 1.75. Mac users I simply supply with Midi files.
So, rather than taming the whole host of choir members (I don't have a regular choir now: I only sing in projects) I try to export back to 1.75. And that's my only reason.

Reply #12
For the record, there is no 2.2 format.
NWC jumped from 2.1 to 2.5
*.nwctxt files jumped from 2.0 to 2.5

Reply #13
Some choir members have 1.75, others use a plug-in in their browser, still others have an illegal copy of 1.75. Mac users I simply supply with Midi files.
So, rather than taming the whole host of choir members (I don't have a regular choir now: I only sing in projects) I try to export back to 1.75. And that's my only reason.

There was a long thread on the subject around two years ago:topic 7201.  The viewer became MUCH easier to use since then (start where you want, user can modify tempo).

Doing beta testing I could sometimes save a beta file as a 2.0 or 2.1 by exporting to nwctxt and modifying it: changing the first line and taking out the "Locale" and "Editor" should do it.  This is an example from a 2.0 file:

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposer(2.0)
|SongInfo|Title:"Speed the Plough"|Author:"Trad."|Lyricist:""|Copyright1:""|Copyright2:""|Comments:""
|Font|Style:User 1|Typeface:"Boxmark2"|Size:16|Bold:N|Italic:N|CharSet:0
|AddStaff|Name:"Staff"|Group:"Standard"
|StaffProperties|EndingBar:Open (hidden)
|StaffProperties|Muted:N|Volume:127|StereoPan:64|Device:0|Channel:1
|StaffInstrument|Name:"Violin"|Patch:40
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Key|Signature:F#
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Tempo|Tempo:132|Text:"Allegro"|Pos:9
Since 1998

Reply #14
The ability to export back to NWC 1.75 will be in NWC 2.5.4,  which will be generally available in a few days.

Obviously, much can be lost in the conversion, but perhaps those that need it will find it of some use.

Reply #15

We will indeed.  Many thanks.

MusicJohn, 25/Mar/12

Reply #16
The ability to export back to NWC 1.75 will be in NWC 2.5.4,  which will be generally available in a few days.

Obviously, much can be lost in the conversion, but perhaps those that need it will find it of some use.

That is very nice, however I have found myself advertising the new Noteworthy viewer! For choir practise, it is indeed very well usable now. That makes me no less thankful for the upcoming 2.5.4 version. It is good to have the option.

Reply #17

Many thanks for this and, indeed, all the work you guys do.