Skip to main content
Topic: caesura (Read 17193 times) previous topic - next topic

caesura

Is it possible to insert a caesura ("railroad tracks") using NoteWorthy 2?  I can find a breath mark, but I really need to indicate a longer pause.  Thanks!

Re: caesura

Reply #1
G'day mlshatto,
welcome to the forum.  NWC doesn't have this marking natively BUT you can add one using a text entry.

You will need a font that contains the appropriate glyph:
Boxmark2
SwingDings
MusikDindgSans
MusikDingsSerif

all contain the glyph in the same ASCII location as the grave accent: `
This is the key to the left of the "1" on the normal US keyboard - on the same key as the tilde "~"

These fonts are available via the Scripto: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts
The *Dings suites are also available from the Noteworthy site: http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/uc/pardypack/

I assume you know how to configure user fonts and create text entries - if not, just ask here and someone will respond.

To get the playback right, a hidden breath mark with the appropriate delay will do the job.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Also, along with the text entry, hide the breath mark to get the pause for playback.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #3
Is there any chance a functional caesura element is being considered for the next NW release?

Reply #4
Is there any chance a functional caesura element is being considered for the next NW release?
A functional caesura element is part of NWC 2.5
You can see it in the NWC Viewer 2.5 by opening this:
Code: (nwc) [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
|TempoVariance|Style:Caesura|Pause:8|Pos:4|Justify:Right
|Bar
|Note|Dur:Whole|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I like having a functional caesura as was introduced in NWC 2.5. 

The lines need to be a tad thicker, almost the difference between normal text versus bold text.  Maybe 1.5 times as thick as they currently are?

The caesura should default to preserve width and placement as a staff signature, I think.

Reply #6
The caesura should default to preserve width and placement as a staff signature, I think.
I think not. IMO, nothing in NWC should default to 'Preserve Width' or 'As Staff Signature'. Both are obsolete.

Reply #7
Since a second caesura will assume the characteristics of one entered before it or above it in the score, I concede the placement request, but it is distracting to have to set the placement the first time you enter the caesura in your score. 

I don't think I've ever seen a caesura in a commercially printed sheet of music that collides with the note, rest or bar line that follows it. 

Reply #8
The attachment compares Alfred's Essential Dictionary of Music Notation with my clip. IMO, NoteWorthy gets it right.
Default Justification should probably be 'Right'.
Opinons may vary as to Alignment/Placement but I can confidently rule out 'As Staff Signature'.

Edit: to support David's POV on thickness, a LilyPond (v2.15) sample is also attached.

Reply #9
I agree with you re "as staff signature," Rick, but I use "preserve width" a fair amount - for example, in some cases it's the best way to fit a dynamic where I want it. However, I do wish that it wasn't the default setting for MPC's....

Bill

Reply #10
I use "preserve width" a fair amount
I used it a lot, before the Spacer Command was introduced. Since then, spacers have become a complete replacement for 'Preserve Width'. They don't do the same thing, but I'm still looking for anything to do with proper music notation where 'Preserve Width' is superior.

However, I do wish that it wasn't the default setting for MPC's....
Agree. Ditto the Instrument Change Command.

Reply #11
... spacers have become a complete replacement for 'Preserve Width'...

Perhaps, but the placeholders sure do clutter up a busy edit window, and taking the time to decide how wide a spacer to use is a distraction.  Having said that, I'm getting used to using it, so I'll probably swear by the spacer soon. 

Reply #12
I used it a lot, before the Spacer Command was introduced. Since then, spacers have become a complete replacement for 'Preserve Width'. They don't do the same thing, but I'm still looking for anything to do with proper music notation where 'Preserve Width' is superior.

I prefer using preserve width over spacers in this example (courtesy accidental) because it's only one entry rather than three, and it's less finicky - I didn't have to experiment with spacer widths to get it right.  The user font is MusikDingsSans size 16.

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.5,Single)
|Bar
|Clef|Type:Bass
|Key|Signature:Bb,Eb,Ab,Db|Tonic:A
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Chord|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:b3,6
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:2,n5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:n1,b5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:b1,n4
|Bar
|Text|Text:"´"|Font:User2|Pos:4|Wide:Y
|Chord|Dur:Half,Slur|Pos:4,n7

|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:3,b7
|Text|Text:"Compared to "|Font:StaffBold|Pos:12
|Bar
|Chord|Dur:4th,Slur|Pos:b3,6
|Chord|Dur:8th,Dotted|Pos:2,n5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Chord|Dur:16th|Pos:n1,b5|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:b1,n4
|Bar
|Spacer|Width:20
|Text|Text:"´"|Font:User2|Pos:3|Justify:Center
|Spacer|Width:20
|Chord|Dur:Half,Slur|Pos:4,n7

|Chord|Dur:Half|Pos:3,b7
|Bar
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

It may be that Preserve Width is redundant/obsolete, but I wouldn't want to lose it because it will still be 'right' for some users and because doing away with it would make future editing of older NWC files a pain.  

Reply #13
I didn't say 'Preserve Width' should be removed, just that it shouldn't be the default for any NWC object.
Some text items do need extra space to avoid collisions, but the exact width of the text is almost never the correct amount. And yes, we code differently. I would probably use something like the last two measures of the attachment and curse NWC's accidental placements :(  I'd use text for some of them, but text doesn't highlight during the note chase :(

Reply #14
Since most of the time I'm creating parts for wind instruments, I don't usually have to worry about chords, so I don't have an opinion about the placement of true accidentals in a chord.

Text entries for courtesy accidentals are a little finicky, because as measure 3 of the second staff in your example shows, sometimes they're not in the right vertical position.  In your example and using Musikdings, it's easy to adjust, but I seem to recall having some difficulty placing them just where I wanted in the past.  (Maybe that was some other font.)  

Maybe one day NWC will have native courtesy accidentals - perhaps with Control-7, Control-8 and Control-9.

Reply #17
Thanks, Bill.

Rick,
Just a stupid error on my part.
...but fortunate, in that it illustrated how easy this type of mistake is to make and shows how native courtesy accidentals could be useful.

Of course, there would be concerns about their horizontal position in a chord with other accidentals, but one could revert to text.