Skip to main content
Topic: NWC in Linux problems (Read 17918 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC in Linux problems

I am using NWC2 in Wine in Ubuntu Linux (V. 8.10). It works fine most of the time but there are two problems that occur from time to time.

Firstly calling the print preview sometimes causes NWC to crash. There is no obvious pattern but it mostly seems to occur with more complex scores or files I had created previously in Windows, though even there some are fine and others crash with no obvious pattern. One thing that often works is to export the score to midi and re-import. This often removes the problem. As I have a dual boot system, I can go to Windows and work from there as a last resort.

The other problem is that after a time, NWC fails to load properly. A window will load but then just displays a black blank screen rather than the usual grey with no menus or icons loaded. It's as if the program has part loaded then not finished. I find that uninstalling and reinstalling noteworthy has worked fine so far but it's a nuisance. Again as a last resort, I can go to Windows and work from there

Although I can get round both these problems it would be nice to have them sorted

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Re: NWC in Linux problems

Reply #1
Some time ago I also had similar problems with some nwc files, for a short while. I am not sure, but I have a feeling that the problem was related to some of my files where I had moved rests off the page using global mod. Normally everything works fine, and the problem may have related to a certain version of Wine only. I recently upgraded to 9.10, and I have not noticed any problems.

Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #2
This is all a little vague, but I would definitely recommend against the use of a reinstall as a fix for any recurring problem. If the NWC2 files are truly becoming corrupted such that a reinstall is necessary, then I would recommend tracking the source of the file corruption.

I would also recommend the Ubuntu 9.10 release if you are already using Ubuntu.

Reply #3
After just setting up an Ubuntu 9.10 upgrade, I would like to augment my prior recommendation by suggesting that you test 9.10 first, prior to installing it. In my experience, existing wireless Internet devices and webcams require manual adjustments via the command line. Try it first, even if it "just worked" in 9.04.

Reply #4
I have recently upgraded to ubuntu 9.04 and intend to upgrade to 9.10 soon with the aim of then upgrading to 10.04 soon after it comes out.

I got NWC working in 9.04 OK but the problem of NWC not starting up properly has recurred. During start up it hangs with a blank window. I ran it from the terminal and got the following error message.

Code: [Select · Download]
err:thunk:_loadthunk (NWMID95C.DLT, thunkobj_ThunkData16, NWMID95C.DLL): Unable to load 'NWMID95C.DLT', error 2

Can someone tell me what is the problem and how to fix it?

TIA

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #5
This message is probably not related to a program hang.

Details on the NWMID95C.DLT error message can be found here:

http://forum.winehq.org/viewtopic.php?p=41466

I do not know what is causing the program hang. The MIDI driver/setup is one of the usual suspects. You might try installing the NWC Viewer and comparing your results.

Reply #6
I posted the same request on the wine help forum, and they suggested changing the Windows version in Wine. I did that, changing it to WinXP and the error message disappeared but NWC still hangs on startup but there is now no error message on exit.

I tried the noteworthy viewer and that started up OK.

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #7
I run NWC 2.1 on Ubuntu 9.10 using Wine 1.0.1, Windows version XP. I use either TiMidity or Emu10k1 for midi playback, and everything works without any problems. I have also tested NWC on Puppy Linux/Wine, and that worked perfectly as well. To get the new User Tools kit v. 2.1 to work, I had to use Winetricks and install vcrun2008.

The only problem I ever have observed was the Print Preview issue, causing crashes, but that was only for a short time, with a few files.

If I remember correctly, I have used NWC on all Ubuntu versions since 2006. Initially, setting everything up was harder than it is now. Are you upgrading your Ubuntu installations, or do you make (semi) fresh installs (using a separate home partition)?

I wish I could be more helpful.

--Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #8
I posted the same request on the wine help forum, and they suggested changing the Windows version in Wine.

In the Wine help forum, your initial request is only related to the extra message, which has been explained. Something apparently changed on your system that now causes NWC2 to hang. The challenge is to identify what changed. For starters, you could undo your Windows version setting changes.

Reply #9
In the Wine help forum, your initial request is only related to the extra message, which has been explained. Something apparently changed on your system that now causes NWC2 to hang. The challenge is to identify what changed. For starters, you could undo your Windows version setting changes.

True. It might be better to start a new thread on the Wine forum.

Anyway to the problem. I undid the windows version setting changes and the original message reappeared, so I set the version back to WinXP and the message disappeared, but there was no other message on the terminal.

I then ran nwc through Winedebug with "=+warn" then with "=+err" to pick up any warning and error messages. There were plenty of warning messages but no error messages. I guess that if there had been error messages they would have been displayed in the terminal anyway. As a check, I also ran NWC Viewer through Winedebug and there were no warning messages at all.  I have attached a file with the warning messages.

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #10
Anyway to the problem. I undid the windows version setting changes and the original message reappeared, so I set the version back to WinXP and the message disappeared, but there was no other message on the terminal.

You don't bother to mention what happened with the program hang. The message has already been explained.

As a check, I also ran NWC Viewer through Winedebug and there were no warning messages at all.  I have attached a file with the warning messages.

That is surprising, since NWC2 and its Viewer are very similar. The large number of warnings do not appear to be a result of any specific action that NWC2 is taking. Are you invoking NWC2 and NWC2View differently? If not, then did you recently change the MIDI setup for NWC2 leading to the program hang? You can reset the NWC2 MIDI setup by editing the registry. I would recommend deleting the entire tree for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NoteWorthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2

The next time NWC2 starts up, it will use defaults for all settings.

Reply #11
You don't bother to mention what happened with the program hang. The message has already been explained.

The hang is as I described before

During start up it hangs with a blank window.

That is surprising, since NWC2 and its Viewer are very similar. The large number of warnings do not appear to be a result of any specific action that NWC2 is taking. Are you invoking NWC2 and NWC2View differently? If not, then did you recently change the MIDI setup for NWC2 leading to the program hang? You can reset the NWC2 MIDI setup by editing the registry. I would recommend deleting the entire tree for:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\NoteWorthy Software\NoteWorthy Composer 2

The next time NWC2 starts up, it will use defaults for all settings.

I started both up in the same way, from the terminal. I normally start up nwc from a launcher on the upper panel. I had not made any alterations to NWC's settings before this occurred and at the moment I do not have midi set up in NWC. I was using fluidsynth which I used to start as needed, but when I upgraded, the upgrade set it to start on booting up which was interfering with the start up of my printer software, so I disabled fluidsynth for the time being intending to sort it when I upgrade again.

Anyway, I will try the registry edit and see what happens and report back.

Cheers

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #12
I am not really familiar with Winedebug, but perhaps only your first Wine application invocation causes all of those warnings.

Based on the warnings, the NWC2 startup gets at least as far as initializing the toolbars. I can tell you that the printer initialization happens just after this. Perhaps the printer is the cause of your problem, although the Viewer uses the same printer logic.

Reply #13
Anyway, I will try the registry edit and see what happens and report back.

That worked, but the problem recurred while I was sorting out my settings, I redid the registry edit and it is OK again, but I will wait and see if the problem keeps recurring.

Cheers

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #14
So far so good after 24 hrs. I have used it a few times and it seems OK.

At least I will know what to do if it happens again :-{

Thanks for your help. It's much appreciated.

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #15
Hi,

The attached part (which needs MusikDingsSerif) consistently crashes NoteWorthy Composer 2.1's Print Preview under Xubuntu 9.10 with wine 1.0.1 for me, with the printer set to A4 portrait. Page 1 works, but it crashes as soon as I view Page 2.

And here's the best part: removing all the slurs makes it work!

Hopefully that'll help with any debugging efforts, and be a convenient workaround in the meantime for anyone who needs Print Preview to work in Linux. :)

I doubt I'll have the time to do so myself, but if anyone feels inclined to take this further, feel free to share this file on other bugtrackers (e.g. wine's).

Reply #16
The attached part (which needs MusikDingsSerif) consistently crashes NoteWorthy Composer 2.1's Print Preview under Xubuntu 9.10 with wine 1.0.1 for me, with the printer set to A4 portrait. Page 1 works, but it crashes as soon as I view Page 2.

Confirmed under Ubuntu 9.10 with Wine 1.0.1

Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #17
And here's the best part: removing all the slurs makes it work!
Does any slur cause a crash, or just some if them? If the latter, which slur(s).
Registered user since 1996

Reply #18
Does any slur cause a crash, or just some if them? If the latter, which slur(s).

Not for me. With a few slurs, print preview does not crash but there seems to be a critical threshold. I added slurs progressively to the attached until print preview crashed. Print preview crashed in the attached file, but with one slur fewer, it did not.

I have a file from Winedebug for the crash on the original version of the attached nwc file. As it is a fairly large file I will attach it to a subsequent post.

I have nwc 2.0 on Ubuntu 9.04 with wine 1.1.41

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #19
Attached is part of the dump from Winedebug.

I followed the procedure described in the Wine manual here: http://www.winehq.org/docs/wineusr-guide/bug-reporting

As the manual says, the file created is rather large (36MB in my case) but, as they say, it is only part of the file that is needed. Their suggestion of the last 100 lines did not seem much use so I scrolled through the original file and found the point where the crash first occurred. NWC seemed to make several attempts at recovery, but eventually failed. I have attached the portion of the file where the last attempt at recovery occurred. Even that meant a file over the 128 KB limit but fortunately, converting to pdf reduced the file size to within limits. If more is needed, please let me know and I can extract a further portion.

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #20
The problem appears to start with a floating point error in Wine's gdi32.dll at 0001:0004459b. If someone can narrow down the conditions that trigger this, we might be able to look into this further.

Also, does anything bad happen in Viewer mode?

Reply #21
The problem appears to start with a floating point error in Wine's gdi32.dll at 0001:0004459b. If someone can narrow down the conditions that trigger this, we might be able to look into this further.

Also, does anything bad happen in Viewer mode?

It seems that the number of slurs is the trigger. In the previously attached Sally Gardens2.nwc calling print preview causes a crash, but Sally Gardens2a.nwc (attached here) with one slur fewer, does not. (I removed the slur at the end of bar 7)

I tried Viewer with the same two files and the same thing happened. There was some output in the terminal which I have copied into a text file and I have attached. I noticed that the terminal output mentioned a floating point error.

I can run the viewer with Winedebug as I did with nwc itself if you wish. Please let me know.

Also, is this possibly due to a Wine bug? Is it worth putting in a bug report to Wine?

Hope this helps

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #22
I was working on a file this evening that has visible staves with no slurs and hidden staves with slurs. As long as the hidden staves stay hidden, the print preview worked fine, but I made the hidden staves visible to make some changes to them and when I called print preview, Noteworthy crashed, so it seems that the crash occurs when print preview is trying to draw the slurs.

"Offending" file attached.

Geoff
Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK

Reply #23
Just installed NoteWorthy Composer with WineBottler for Mac OS X.  So far so good!  I was using Wine 1.1.35 but just upgraded to 1.1.44.  I've got a very generic dummy PostScript printer installed right now.  And I can't get NWC to crash with any of the files above! 

Hmmmm That probably doesn't help anything.....
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #24
The same problem still exists in Ubuntu 10.04 with Wine 1.1.43.

--Christian
NWC on Ubuntu Linux/Wine

Reply #25
Hello again.  Do you guys also see this little oddity? .. If I select a note by holding down shift and pressing the left arrow, the note length doubles (ie, quarter note becomes half note, etc.).  Going the other way produces no adverse effects.  Is that just a quirk of the Mac laptop keyboard layout?  Any way around it?
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #26
If you select a note, and then hit the "+" key, the note length doubles, by design (although technically undocumented for this context).  So perhaps somehow your Mac keyboard driver is taking the shift-left arrow sequence and generating what NWC sees as a shift-left arrow and a "+" key?!  (Assuming your finger isn't slipping off the left arrow every time and flying up to the "+" key without you noticing it :-)

Reply #27
Upon further investigation, Shift+Left Arrow is acting like itself and also sending a + to NWC.  Shift+Right Arrow without any notes in the way, adds a bar line, which makes me think it's probably sending a *.  If this really starts to bother me, I guess I can always use Rick G's method of removing keyboard shortcuts with a res editor (I didn't study computer science for nothing :-)).  If anyone has any input on why this could possibly happening or knows anything about Mac key mappings or X11 key mappings, I'd still like to hear it. 

Still left to test: Does this happen with an external keyboard?  Does anything similar happen under Wine in Linux?  Are there any options in Wine that might change this behavior?
Sincerely,
Francis Beaumier
Green Bay, WI

Reply #28
The same problem still exists in Ubuntu 10.04 with Wine 1.1.43.

--Christian

I bought a new computer (my previous one was eight years old and showing its age) and installed Ubuntu 10.04. Wine is now updated to v1.3.3 and the print preview now seems very much more stable. I tested it with a file which contains copious slurs and ties and print preview did not crash, so hopefully this problem has been resolved via a Wine update.

Geoff Walker
Middlesbrough, UK