Skip to main content
Topic: Da capo al fine (Read 3303 times) previous topic - next topic

Da capo al fine

Hallo All,

How do I handle in order to get DC al Fine without repeating in notes the repeated piece at the end.
Repeated parts with ':' are always repeated automatically, but DC al Fine seems not to do such. 
Do I miss something from 'Help'?
Who gives the solution?
Thanks in advance!

Sincerely,

Mazzltov.

Re: Da capo al fine

Reply #1
G'day Mazzltov,
flow control in NWC is not always easy, but it is does follow certain rules.

Firstly there are 2 kinds of repeat in NWC.  Master repeats and local repeats.  Local repeats are unique to NWC and always work.

Master repeats on the other hand follow traditional rules (which are not always how more modern music is done) as well as some not very obvious internal rules...  The most important of the internal rules is that a special ending is considered ended once a decorated barline is encountered.  Usually this is not a problem, but has caused some problems when a key change within a special ending has been required as this should be accompanied by a double bar (which is a decorated barline).

Firstly, you would normally have an opening repeat barline.  This would be followed by a "1st Special Ending" or as I was taught a "1st time ending".  The 1st special ending could also be the 2nd, 3rd & etc. but will end with a closing repeat barline.  The next ending will follow (usually a 2nd ending) and so on.

When a D.C. or D.S are encountered, the flow directive is followed and ALL master repeats and special endings (*except the "D." ending) are ignored until and unless a "To Coda" is reached, at which time the flow will jump to the coda and master repeats will become active again.  Note however that "Local repeats" will still work regardless.

* the D. ending is a special case.  It is the Default ending and will be taken, if it exists, after a D.C. or D.S. directive.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.