Skip to main content
Topic: Saving playable music to a CD (Read 2753 times) previous topic - next topic

Saving playable music to a CD

I'm trying to save a song as a midi file onto a CD but I keep getting a message that it can't be written because certain elements are incomplete. (approximate message)  What am I doing wrong?  And can I save a song as an mp3 or some other format instead?

Re: Saving playable music to a CD

Reply #1
G'day JB,
there are a few possibilities...

I guess we need to determine how you're going to use the CD first.

Do you want a music CD that will play in any CD player, or do you want a data CD that happens to have some music files on it?  This is an important consideration as you need to use your burner software differently AND you need to prepare for it differently.

Easy one first.  If you just want a data CD with some MIDI files on it then your burner software should make it easy to produce this.  I can't give you a step by step as I don't know what software you're using, but you should be able to follow the prompts.

For a music CD you first need to prepare your file.  This is where things get interesting.  From NWC you can:
a) generate a MIDI and use something like SynthFont to create the wav file to be recorded from the exported MIDI.  See https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=3468.0

b) play back the file in NWC and use some recording software to capture the analogue data from your sound card.  Something like Audacity is a good tool.  The source to select will be called something like "What U Hear" (Creative) or "Stereo Mix" (Realtek IIRC).  Once you have a recording, you can save it as a .wav or if you hav the LAME encoder installed in Audacity you could make it an MP3 but there's no point as it would need to be reconverted to a wav by the burner software anyway.

Hope this helps you think about the right questions...  ;)
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Saving playable music to a CD

Reply #2
Jet Audio Freeware will convert midi to a sound file such as MP3 or WAV that can be burnt to an Audio CD for playing anywhere. Sometimes the sound is slightly different depending on what instruments you have used in your NWC file, but musically it is correct.