Skip to main content
Topic: grissando? (Read 3263 times) previous topic - next topic

grissando?

I am trying to score a piano part and I am trying to do the correct notation to have a rolled chord.  I'm referring to a vertical, squigly line that precedes the chord on the score that indicates you roll into the chord from bottom to top innstead of hitting it all at once.  But I don't know what it is called?  grissando maybe?  [shrug] Does NWC have a provision for this notation and where can I find it? Thank you!

Re: grissando?

Reply #1
The term I think you want is arpeggio and you can find the glyph in Boxmarks.ttf in the fonts available on the Scriptorium.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #2
G'day JB,
you talking about an arpeggiated chord.

NWC doesn't have the symbol natively, but it can be inserted as text.  You would need to enable a user font and select Boxmarks, boxmark2 or one of my *Dings fonts.  These are all available from the Scripto http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#Fonts.

The audible rolled or arpeggiated chord must be created manually in a hidden, sounding staff.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
I think he might be talking about glissando, and if so Fred Nachbaur's gliss.nwc file should be useful.  Be sure to look at all the hidden staves for how he did it.  The link is here.

On reading the question the 2nd time, the above isn't appropriate.  There is a user tool arpeggiate to create a series of tied grace notes to all the notes in a chord except for the (usually) top one.  The muted-displayed staff would have the chord with the vertical wavy line in front of it while the hidden-played staff would have the grace notes in front of the rolled chord, probably created by the user tool.
Since 1998