Skip to main content
Topic: Multi-bar rests old style (Read 3865 times) previous topic - next topic

Multi-bar rests old style

Older engravings show each whole rest in multi-bar rests. This is an advantage if horizontal space needs to be conserved. I have used NoteRow.ttf for User Font 1. I don't know where I got it, but it probably came with another program. I will send it to anyone who needs it. Perhaps the relevant glyph could be incorporated into another font that everyone has.

carl@fenwickparva.com
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Re: Multi-bar rests old style

Reply #1
Hi Carl,

I don't have NoteRow so I can't see what you're illustrating, but I imagine you're presenting the long, breve and semibreve rests shown here?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rest_(music)

Thanks for providing an excuse to search for the symbols.  I have seen the long rest many times, but never thought to wonder what it meant.  It just seemed different.

Reply #2
Hi David,

Thanks for the Wiki reference. That is exactly what I was illustrating. Perhaps the long rest and the breve rest could be added to boxmarks.
Carl Bangs
Fenwick Parva Press
Registered user since 1995

Reply #3
I have seen these in some of my wife's band music, usually with a first printing before 1920.

Some examples <here>
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Perhaps the relevant glyph could be incorporated into another font.
I'm working on it. Further discussion in the newsgroup. I should be posting a beta font there in a few days.
Registered user since 1996