Skip to main content
Topic: problem with slurs (Read 3066 times) previous topic - next topic

problem with slurs

Excuse me, I tried to find a subject answering this question, but I may have missed it.

Well, i'm playing sax, but my teacher is on holidays. So I'm using noteworthy to hear once the music before I have to play it.

Yet, i don't know why, when I put the slurs it sounds as if it was a classic note, and i really don't understand why !

here is what I put on noteworthy but it doesn't make any difference between the slured notes and the other one...
<Image Link>

Thaks a lot !

Re: problem with slurs

Reply #1
You may think they sound same, and I understand.
There is "not" no differences.

I made a midi file, without using slurs. The notes are all 2nd notes.
(I made NWC file by nwc2, but nwc1 is the same.)

<Image Link>

After midi transcription.

<Image Link>

4th note, 8th note, ... doesn't appear like that.

But in case you're the program (which treats piano roll, such as Cakewalk, Cubase, Vocaloid, etc.) user, you can see the differences.

Sesirine.
NWC User since 2008

Reply #2
G'day eye, welcome the forum.

Now,
<snip>
here is what I put on noteworthy but it doesn't make any difference between the slured notes and the other one...
I'm not sure I've understood what you're saying but what I think you mean is that when you're playing this back you can still hear discrete notes, they don't run together with very soft articulations the way you can on your sax.

This is an artifact of using a MIDI synth without separate contol over attack and decay of notes.  NWC cannot overcome this directly, though you might find some ability to approximate the slurs you're expecting using long notes and a pitch bend multi point controller.  The problem with this approach is that NWC doesn't provide the ability to extend the pitch bend range beyond 2 tones, and you still don't have a soft articulation

Hopefully more pitch bend control will appear in a future update.

What a slur in NWC really does is cause every note that is slurred to have full time value.  Typically, notes are played slightly shorter than their time value.  The slur overcomes this.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Now,I'm not sure I've understood what you're saying but what I think you mean is that when you're playing this back you can still hear discrete notes, they don't run together with very soft articulations the way you can on your sax

Yes, it is exactly that, and thanks a lot for your answers.

And just to be sure, there is no software that would enable me to hear the slurs (linking the notes) ? even if it is just to read it ?

Reply #4
Eye, have you tried inserting Legato performance style at the beginning of the staff?  Use Insert/Performance Style/Legato, or use the hot key P to get the style menu.

Reply #5
I have just done it and, unfortunately, it doesn't change anything...