Skip to main content
Topic: newbie Q's (sorry) (Read 3134 times) previous topic - next topic

newbie Q's (sorry)

Please forgive my eagerness, as my Q's are probably covered somewhere, but I just got the trial version, I'm very impressed, and I can't wait to find out the couple of things I need to know before buying. (1) spacing staves farther apart on the printed page, and forcing line breaks in the printed staves (e.g., forcing 4- or 8-measure lines). (2) bow/pick direction symbols above the staff? The little croquet-wicket and the V-symbol. (3) exporting nws to other documents (Publisher, Word, etc) OR importing other docs to an nws page, to combine instructions or commentary with the score? Or creating a text box? Saving as .bmp or jpg? Please reply to my e-mail, as well as here. <morgantownstrings@hotmail.com> Thanks so much!

Re: newbie Q's (sorry)

Reply #1
Welcome aboard, string dude.

(1) spacing staves farther apart on the printed page, and forcing line breaks in the printed staves (e.g., forcing 4- or 8-measure lines).
Select an active staff, press F2 for staff properites.  

(2) bow/pick direction symbols above the staff? The little croquet-wicket and the V-symbol
Make these by using text entries set to one of the user fonts that you can select on the Page Setup screen.  You want the letters t and u from the Boxmark2 font.  You can get it from the Scriptorium http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html.  

(3) exporting nws to other documents (Publisher, Word, etc) OR importing other docs to an nws page, to combine instructions or commentary with the score? Or creating a text box? Saving as .bmp or jpg?
You can save the print preview screen as a graphics file and copy that into various other programs such as Word, and you can export to midi.  A lot of us use PDFCreator.exe to create a PDF of the printed output.  Importing, generally no, except MusicXML and midi.  There's more to say about this, but it's best if we hear your questions before trying to anticipate them.

Sorry, I don't have time right now to open my email program so I'm not replying by email.  This forum should be sufficient anyway.

Reply #2
Welcome to the Forum
FAQ: Adding more space between staves
Forcing Line Breaks
Can you make Bowing Marks?
How to make bitmap, GIF, JPG from NWC
Another way to add lyrics to a song.

NWC2 has no provision for importing text blocks from other programs, but it is possible to arrange lines of text into blocks as I have done here:
Is there an easy way to produce a piano vocal score with appended text?? See my attachment in Reply #3

Good luck. Let us know if any of this has helped. Believe it or not, but you have the same help file that the registered users have.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
(1) spacing staves farther apart on the printed page, and forcing line breaks in the printed staves (e.g., forcing 4- or 8-measure lines).
**** Select with the PageUp or PageDown key a staff that needs more space.  Press the F2 key and select Visual.  You may now increase the vertical size from its default of 10.
To force a system break, select a bar line (drag & drop your cursor thru a bar line) and press Ctrl/E.  Now you can click on "Force System Break".

(2) bow/pick direction symbols above the staff? The little croquet-wicket and the V-symbol.
**** Visit The Scriptorium Helpful Files to download and install Boxmark2.zip.  Once this is done you can use the font in NWC2 by selecting the File menu and selecting Page Setup or pick the icon that looks like an open book.  Click on Fonts.  Select a user font and click on the Modify button.  Here you can choose Boxmarks2. To insert an up bow press the X key to create a text insert, enter a lower case "t" and change the Display font to the user font you choose.  For a down box, enter a l.c. "u" instead (yea, I know it seems backwards).

(3) exporting nws to other documents (Publisher, Word, etc) OR importing other docs to an nws page, to combine instructions or commentary with the score? Or creating a text box? Saving as .bmp or jpg?
**** Under the File Menu, select Print Setup.  Here you can force it to "print" to something other than your default printer.
I have been a "string dude" myself for quite a few decades.

Welcome to NWC!
Since 1998