Skip to main content
Topic: Single-line staves (Read 3551 times) previous topic - next topic

Single-line staves

It would be nice if it were possible to have single-line staves (percussion staves) as well as the traditional five-line staves. If one could then spcecify what pitch the line represented, it would be possible to score percussion parts in the traditional manner. For instance, a single-line staff set to represent pitch #38 would represent a snare drum. It would only be necessary to have a normal staff which displays only the middle line instead of all five.

Re: Single-line staves

Reply #1
James, please please add this to the wishlist
http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/wishlist.htm .
I made a similar suggestion to Eric before (though a little more complicated, allowing for each line on any staff to be remapped - allowing kit drums, and other types of scoring, eg perc parts above and below a single line). I'd love to see it implemented.

Andrew

Reply #2
I guess that they have a manner of  what pitch the line represented, it would be possible to score percussion parts in the traditional manner..

Reply #3
The original post is old - You can do this !

Go to the properties for the staff (ALT Enter) and on the general tab, you will see a box for lines.
Change this to 1 line.

Then click on the instrument tab and change the transposition such that the note placed on the single line is at the pitch that you need for the percussion instrument you are using.

So (I think) for the example requested, do the following:

Create a new staff - Change to channel 10
Go to staff properties and change the number of lines to 1
Go to the instrument tab and change the transposition to -12 (minus 12)
Enter the percussion clef
use the X notehead to enter a note on the single line.
This will now play as acoustic snare.

I think this is what you were trying to do.

Rich.