Skip to main content
Topic: Standard Left/Right Hand (Read 2371 times) previous topic - next topic

Standard Left/Right Hand

[move] Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help!Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help! Help!Help! Help![/move]
Okay, I'm new to Noteworthy Composition, and it's a really great software. You can do pretty much anything with it. The music I got was too small, so I just put in in NC. It took some time, but it was worth it.
Anyways, on the bottom right hand of the screen, there is a thing that says Standard:Left Hand.
Now, this is the problem. That means that it plays the left hand louder than the right, which completely ruins the music and makes it sound terrible.
Can anybody help me fix this?

Re: Standard Left/Right Hand

Reply #1
Hi there and welcome.

There shouldn't really be a noticible difference between left hand and right hand but .....

In your case there is so....

First of all check that the left hand staff is on a different channel to the right hand staff.
(You might want to try putting them on the same channel - that might fix your problem - to change channels, put the cursor on a staff (not selecting anything) and then hold down the alt key and press enter. This brings up the staff properties.

On the midi tab, you can change the channel - but you can also change the volume for that staff.
So you can put left hand and right hand on different channels and then reduce the volume for the one that is too loud.

(Incidentally, the thing that says "Standard:Left Hand" is just telling you which staff the cursor is on. Nothing more)

HTH.

Rich.

Re: Standard Left/Right Hand

Reply #2
The first thing to check is what dynamics are assigned, and which staff they're assigned to. When you place a dynamic in NWC, it only applies to the staff that was active when you placed it. So if you assigned a p to the RH staff, the LH staff will still be playing at the default volume, which is roughly ff. The solution is to make sure each staff is assigned the same dynamic marking. You can make the dynamics on the LH staff invisible if you prefer - they'll still affect the playback. Highlight the dynamic (or the anchor point next to it), press <alt><enter> to bring up the properties dialogue, click on the "visibility" tab, and choose "show on printed page: never."

Hope this helps.....

Bill