Skip to main content
Topic: Winamp plugin problems (Read 3916 times) previous topic - next topic

Winamp plugin problems

I have winamp 5.35, SoundBlaster Live and Win2000.
When I listen to NWC files in winamp I have a couple of odd behaviours.

If I press winamp pause and then I press it again the play doesn't restart.
I must press play, but then the playing restarts from the beginning.
Luckily I can move the cursor to approximately the previous position but the thing is tedious.

Second, the winamp volume control does nothing.

These problems are specific of playing NWC files.
With WAV, MP3, MID etc. everything is fine.

Any hint?

N.B. The problem is not new at all. It's always been there. It's just that now I'm using winamp more frequently so I find it more annoying.

Winamp Output plugins settings
Wave Out device: SB Live! audio, Volume control enabled.
Direct sound output: SB Live! audio, Volume control enabled.

Re: Winamp plugin problems

Reply #1
I have reproduced this. We'll look into it.

Reply #2
It looks like Microsoft might have radically changed the behavior for its built-in MIDI sequencer's MCI_PAUSE, MCI_RESUME, and MCI_SEEK events. Given the way Microsoft has been treating its legacy architecture lately, this would not be much of a surprise. These changes are in the same vein as the Media Player changes that cause system mixer volume problems. Still looking into it...

Reply #3
Not such an infrequent thing for Microsoft... :-(

What surprises me is that we are talking (in my case) of Win2000!

Reply #4
I am still looking into this. I note, however, that the browser plug-in does not experience this issue even though it also uses the Media Control Interface (MCI), so it is likely more complicated than just a Microsoft change.

Reply #5
On WinXP, if I click the pause button, clicking pause again does nothing.

If I click the pause button, press Ctrl+J then <Enter>, clicking pause again will resume the song.

The plug-in creates a MIDI file. It might as well pass it to WinAmp and go away.
I don't see the point of a plug-in dll if it can't use memory buffers instead of temp files. One might as well  use a shell extension.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #6
The NWC Winamp plug-in allows you to mix *.nwc files with other media files in a play list. I do not see the corollary to a shell extension.