Skip to main content
Topic: How do I make long bar rests? (Read 4005 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I make long bar rests?

Hello,

I am currently scoring a piece of music for individual parts. At certain points, the music has long rests, for instance a 16 bar rest, but rather than inserting 16 whole bars is there any way of grouping all the rests? Like they do in a lot of orchestral music when say a violinist has a 24 bar rest and instead of wasting a whole sheet of just rests the composer just writes it in one bar with a 24 over the top. Is there any way of doing that here?

Hope you get my gist!

Thanks! Matt

Re: How do I make long bar rests?

Reply #1
A good discussion of this <here>, subject to my caveat:
Multiple measure rests are not supported. None of the methods offered here or in the Scriptorium will survive changes to paper size, orientation, left/right margin, printer resolution, Notation Typeface, Increase note spacing for larger note durations or Visible Parts.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
subject to my caveat:
Rick's caveat is true in that the text based MBR won't automatically adjust for those various things, but you have control.  You can adjust the length of the MBR by editing the text, and you can force system breaks.  So, not automatic, but not difficult to accomplish manually once you've checked the appearance of your part in print preview.

Reply #3
I assume you have looked at the user tip in the other thread Rick pointed out.  For another example you might want to look here for a transcription on the Scriptorium specifically made to print to print out parts.

Even hidden objects take up some space.  For short MBR's you will have "Preserve Width" checked on your text but for really long rests you might want to experiment with that.
Since 1998

Reply #4
Even hidden objects take up some space.
Very few hidden objects take up any space on the printed page. The only exception (I know of) is hidden notes/rests that have a rhythmic position that is not shared by visible notes/rests on some other staff included in 'Contents'. I consider this exception a bug. It causes too much space space when trying to beat 4 against 5 and 5 against 6.

I can't find any hidden objects that take up space on the printed page. This was a problem in the beta version, but it seems that all those bugs were tracked down and killed.

NWC2 is hostile to beating 5 against 6, but hidden rests do not seem to be the cause.
Registered user since 1996