Skip to main content
Topic: Opening Files with the correct NWC Version (Read 7768 times) previous topic - next topic

Opening Files with the correct NWC Version

I'm still using NWC1 (v 1.75), but recently I purchased NWC2 and have been using that.  I also have the latest version of the Player.

Some time earlier, though, I found that my Operating System - W2K - kept trying to open Version 2 Files (that I'd downloaded) in Version 1 - and of course failed - rather than in the Player.  This surprised me, because I thought that the OS saw Version 1 and 2 Files differently, and would open the former in Version 1, and the latter in the Player.

The situation is different - but no better, though - now that I have Version 2.  Judging from the chat I've seen in the Forum (including a comment some time ago from Eric himself), Version 1 Files should open automatically in Version 1, while Version 2 Files should open in Version 2.  But for me they don't; my OS opens Version 1 Files in Version 2, which is not what I want at all.

Obviously I've done something wrong - and it presumably involves my associating all NWC Files with Version 2.  Can anyone tell me what mistake I've made, and how to put it right, so that each File type is opened by its own Version?

MusicJohn, 30/Dec/08

Re: Opening Files with the correct NWC Version

Reply #1
On WinXP and Win98, I have found that reinstalling the Viewer solves many file association woes. If reinstalling v1.75 and/or NWC2, reinstalling the Viewer last has worked every time.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
   Hi, Rick.

You suggest re-installing the Viewer.  Well, I did, but there's no change.  Interestingly, during the process the installer says:-

"Looking for installed copy of NWC Version 1
   No installed copy of NWC1 detected
   No installed copy of NWC1 detected"

(yes: twice) despite the fact that NWC32.exe is sitting in a sub-Folder in the same "Noteworthy Software" Folder (and also, additionally, in a Root C Folder entitled "Noteworthy 1.75c").

If it is a problem with the association of NWC Files with one or other of Versions 1 & 2, what can I do to make the OS distinguish them?

Any other ideas?

MusicJohn, 29/Dec/08

Reply #3
All of our installers rely on the uninstall information in the computer registry. If you remove the uninstall information or manually move the program files, then our installers will not recognize existing installations. As long as you have not manually altered the nwc1 AND nwc2 installations and registry settings, you can install the NWC Viewer and it will establish launch control for *.nwc files. If you have manually altered any of the NWC installations, then you either have to manually restore all of the settings, or reinstall the altered programs.

Reply #4
Check the registry for: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc2
There should also be an entry for: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc1
The structure for nwc1 is like nwc2, except that:
command points to the path for NWC 1.75 rather than NWC2
Application is "NWC32" rather than "NWC2"

The usual caveats about mucking around in the registry apply.

Reply #5
John

Just one other thing that occurs to me.

When you re-installed the viewer, did you re-install from a fresh download or was it a version you already had on your computer?
The only reason for asking is that I recall that there was a version of the viewer that had problems with associations and had problems detecting the nwc1.

This was fixed, but if you are using the old version ........
Rich.

Reply #6
   Hi, People.

Eric says:-

"All of our installers rely on the uninstall information in the computer registry. If you remove the uninstall information or manually move the program files, then our installers will not recognize existing installations."

Hmmm.  That is at least part of the problem, then.  Some time ago I copied all the Files to a new computer, and after that I moved them about a bit more.  Mind you, since then I've attempted (successfully, I thought) to re-install Versions 1 and 2, and the Player, but there has been no change; the OS still can't distinguish 1 from 2.  I'm obviously still doing something wrong.

Rick G. says:-

"Check the registry for: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc2
There should also be an entry for: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc1"

To me the Registry is a closed book, probably written in Sanskrit!  However, it appears to include HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc2 but not ...\nwc1.  Despite my re-install attempt!

Rich says:-

"When you re-installed the viewer, did you re-install from a fresh download ..."

Yes.  I thought about that, too.

So:  I think I'll give up, and put up with having to manually select one or other of Versions 1 & 2.  Thanks for your efforts to help, though.  And a Happy and prosperous - God and the World Financial System permitting - New Year to you all.

MusicJohn, 31/Dec/08

Reply #8
   Rick G. says:-

"Check the registry for: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc2
There should also be an entry for: HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc1"

To me the Registry is a closed book, probably written in Sanskrit!  However, it appears to include HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc2 but not ...\nwc1.  Despite my re-install attempt!
Well, there is at least part of the problem. If I rename ...\nwc1 to ...\nwc1x, the viewer will not launch files into NWC 1.75
It would seem to be hopeless until this problem is corrected.

It should be corrected by reinstalling NWC 1.75
Whatever you decide to do, (re)install the Viewer last.

Reply #9
The NWC Viewer uses two registry areas in its launch control:

1) First, it uses the installed programs/uninstall registry to determine if NWC1 or NWC2 is installed. For NWC2, these settings are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NoteWorthy Composer 2.

2) It then uses the open verb that corresponds to the NWC version (for example, HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc2, which is labeled as "Open with NWC Version 2").

Reply #10
1) First, it uses the installed programs/uninstall registry to determine if NWC1 or NWC2 is installed. For NWC2, these settings are under HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\NoteWorthy Composer 2.
Those settings would appear irrelevant to the viewer. The existence of the key appears to be enough.

IMO, the Viewer is being overly cautious. If it has an Open verb, it should use it. If more caution is really justified, it should check to see if the program exists that is specified in HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\nwcomposer\shell\nwc?\command

... not that any of this matters a great deal. Back in MSDOS days, the essence of a power user was knowledge of batch files and redirection. For Windows, a power user needs to know how to customize the Shell.

Reply #11
The NWC Viewer never actually looks into the HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT registry. It simply hands off the appropriate verb ("nwc1" or "nwc2") to the Windows Shell. You can setup your own .nwc file associations, and as long as NWC1 or NWC2 are properly installed and the nwc1/2 verbs are defined in your custom association, the launch control will work.

Reply #12
That makes some sense: If there is an uninstall key, assume it is installed.