Skip to main content
Topic: noob question (Read 3510 times) previous topic - next topic

noob question

I am just learning the piano and Dled the trial version of NWC.  I am trying to compose a song and I ran into a problem.  I am new to music, so I am not even sure I now how to ask this properly, please bear with me :)

I am trying to type out the notes for 1 measure (4/4 time) that has a whole note that plays arcross the entire measure and 7 half notes that follow immediately after the whole note is played.

I tried to do this with a cord, but it wouldn't let me since the notes were not of the same timing.  Any attempt to string these notes together pushes the time out past 4 beats.  I do not want to use both treble and bass to accomplish this, I am trying to fit this just onto the bass cleft.  Do I need to do some sort of layered staff and do some hiding trick?

I am mostly interested in how this prints out and not as much concerned with the sound.  I am printing a piece off so I can play it.

Thanks,
Beef

Re: noob question

Reply #1
I think my question might be confusing :)

I have linked the NWC file below that shows my issue.  I am trying to put the theme song for the office onto paper.  I created the midi file in another program and inported it into NWC.  When I did this, many of the notes got pushed from the bass clef to the treble clef.  It played fine, but it doesn't print well.

To get everything to look better, I had to create a 3rd staff to place the whole notes.  There are a few measures of this song where a whole note spans the entire measure and you also play 8th notes in the same measure (I mistakingly called them halfs below oops). 

My question is how can I get this to display properly on 1 staff without messing up the sound as well.

I have linked the file so you can see what I am asking since I am not very good at explaining things.

http://www.filefactory.com/file/aff21e1/n/The_Office_nwc (I apologize in advance for the filefactory adds)

Thanks,
Beef

Reply #2
Chord Member Command is probably what you are looking for.

If you are looking for something you could plop down in front of a piano player, you might try the attachment. Looks OK on 8½x11 or A4 paper.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Awesome, thank you so much!

Now how did you get the whole note and the other notes to reside in the same measure without stretching the time beyond 4 :)

I could not get the chord member function to place the notes like you have them.

Thanks again,
Beef

Reply #4
Welcome Beef

Quick lesson - First of all, remember that all notes and rests have a stem direction, even if they do not have a stem.
So for example, set the stem direction down.  (note head with an arrow attached)
Select an eighth note but then press the space bar for a rest.
Set the strm direction up.
Select a whole note
Hold down the control key andthen whilst holding it, press the enter key.
You will now have a rest / chord combination.

If you need the combination the other way round, then you simple reverse the stem directions above.

Try it out - I'm sure you'll get the hang of it.

The rest always has to be placed first.  The note value always has to be equal to or greater than the the value of the rest, never less.
The rest then determines the time spacing that the rest chord takes up in the measure.

There are a few other bits and pieces but I think that will do for now.

Rich.

Reply #5
Thanks again for the tips!

I had no idea that the stem direction served any functional purpose.  I thought it was only for aesthetics :)

Thanks for you help

Beef