virtual universe of sounds. Problem is, how do I get those
sounds into Noteworthy? I have done some pretty creative
fudging, to little avail.

I have editing my nwcpatch.ini, but in the end, though I
have the names of the new patches, the sounds have not
changed. All help appreciated.

Re: Soundfonts

Reply #1
Do you mean that you have some sound fonts that you want to use for playback from Noteworthy instead of the usual sounds from the soundcard?

Or do you mean something else ?

Richard

Reply #2
I think that is what I mean. Let me give you an example: I
downloaded a soundfont called "Men'sChorus". I have opened
that sound font in Vienna and successfully "played back"
a melody using the Vienna playback system. I then edited my
mwcpatch.ini to include the soundfont and its patch names.
After that, I put the font's file in the system directory
contains all the other sound fonts. But... though Noteworthy
shows the names of each individual sound, the sounds remain
those from General Midi.

I think that's everything.

Dennis

Reply #3
Assuming you found a complete new GM sound font, wonderful.sf2, on the net you would open the awe control panel and go to the synth tab and install it. Any .mid or .nwc would then play back using the sounds of wonderful.sf2.
Assuming you found a great recording of a barking seal and a rattling snake and used Vienna to make a new sound font, morewonderful.sf2 (seal as instrument 001, snake as instrument002), you would use control panel and user tab to install more wonderful as a user synth at a number (xxx) not used by Wonderful.sf2. If the card has sufficient memory both wonderful and more wonderful will be ready to go.
To bark or rattle in NWC, highlight a staff, then Staff\Playback Instrument\, check 'select a different patch bank', in controller 0 select "xxx", select instrument 001 for seal or 002 for snake. Notes on this staff should bark or rattle appropriately.
Absolutely reserving the right to answer the wrong question and to get the answer totally wrong but I hope this helps.

Reply #4
BTW, you might want to verify that NWC\Tools\Options\Midi\'Devices used by playback:' = SB AWE 32(64) Midi synth(620){best choice} or Midi Mapper. If Midi Mapper further check WIN95(98)\Start\Settings\Control Panel\Multimedia\Midi has SB AWE 32(64) MIDI SYNTH(620) selected.

Reply #5
Thanks Drake,

Saved me trying to explain it and you were clearer than I would have been

Richard

Reply #6
Thanks everyone for your help. I'll try it all.

Dennis