Skip to main content
Topic: Postscript Files (Read 3649 times) previous topic - next topic

Postscript Files

Not directly related to NWC, but... Does anyone know of a utility to allow printing Postscript files to a "regular" printer (24-pin DMP or HP-PCL)?

Reason I ask is that I found a wealth of classical scores in Postscript format.

Re: Postscript Files

Reply #1
Hi Fred

I print *.ps files from DOS by copying them to the printer.

Heres how assuming you are using a PC with Win95.

Open a DOS window and go to the directory where the PS files are kept.

Type at the prompt

copy<space><filename>.<extension><space><printer path>

Example (Note I am on a LAN and my printer is networked)

C:\music\>
C:\music\>copy jingle.ps \\regent\rp_prot

You should be able to find out the path for the printer by

Start>Settings>Printers then select the printer from the list and File>Properties>Details the path is the entry in "Print to the following port" box.

Get back to me if you have any trouble.

Reply #2
Thanks Sergio. No, I'm not presently running Win95 (tried it, didn't like it) but I have no trouble finding my way around DOS.

My difficulty is that neither of my printers support the PS format. If I try to dump a PS graphics file directly to print all I get is a bunch of gibberish. What I'm looking for is something that translates the PS protocol (metalanguage?) into the graphics bitmaps expected by Epson DMP or HP-PCL laserjets.

Regards,
fred

Reply #3
Ok. Well that's about the limit of my experience on this matter. I had some music sent from a quintet in the States and that is how I handled the files via a postscript printer.

Happy hunting

Sergio

Reply #5
Cool!! That's *precisely* what I was looking for. Nice to see that it's distributed under GPL. (*Bonus*)

Thanks for the help.