Skip to main content
Topic: Multiple measure rest (Read 9905 times) previous topic - next topic

Multiple measure rest

How do I write a multiple measure rest?

Re: Multiple measure rest

Reply #1
I am surprised that "multi measure rest" in the search box didn't yield any further results than this thread.  At any rate this tip covers multi-measure rests and well as other topics necessary to produce a set of orchestral parts.  HTH
Since 1998

Reply #2
A search is only as good as the text string used.  Try searching for multibar rests.  You'll get some hits.

However, go to the Scriptorium and grab my template for them from the useful files section.  It will save a lot of time.

Reply #3
Don't forget the multi bar rest user tool - also on the Scripto - works a treat
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
I do a lot of scores for my band where multi-bar rests appear all the time, such as when the brass section has 8 - 16 bars rest during the verse. This is what I do:

* Download the Swingdings font
* Put the individual full bar rests in, so all the parts still line up.
* Select all the bars that have full rests, not including the opening and closing lines
* Mark everything as "Never" visible
* Next to the opening line, add the text :n; (where 'n' is the number of bars to rest) in Swingdings font, ensuring "Preserve width" is checked. Move the resulting text so it appears roughly in the middle.

To be honest, the lack of this feature is not a deal killer for me, especially considering I can rip through a full score in an hour or two, which you frankly cannot do in Sibelius or Finale (which are ten times more expensive) no matter how hard you try.

Reply #6
G'day Ritchie,
I highly recommend you check out Kjeld Hansen's multi bar rest user tool - makes it even quicker!

Available from the Scripto:
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/nwc2scripts_mbr.html

You can easily edit the user tool if you want to use a different Usern font than the default OR if you want to use any of the alternative MBR character sets in SwingDings (there are 3 sets).  You can also change the vertical position.  I have 3 invocations of the tool depending on what I want to do...
  • []
  • :;
Note that the 3rd alternative can be extended with "-" characters (best in pairs either side of the number) if you want to have a long MBR
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.