Skip to main content
Topic: Problems with MIDI input from keyboard. (Read 2836 times) previous topic - next topic

Problems with MIDI input from keyboard.

Okay, I've been using Noteworthy Composer (registered 1.75c) to enter music manually.  This past weekend I hooked up a Yamaha CP33 stage piano to my system, and tried recording what I played.  I downloaded and installed the MIDI driver for the instrument, configured NWC to recognize it, created a blank project, hit record, and started playing.

I have several problems, but this is the big one.  I played a very short melody... it recorded the correct notes, but not the duration.  Everything was recorded as a quarter note, even if it was actually a half  or sixteenth note.  And rests between notes were ignored entirely.  Not sure what I did wrong, but surely it HAS to be able to record from a keyboard better than that!

I have it set to notate pedal marks, insert instrument changes, automatic beam, and detect compound time.  Note resolution is set to 32nd, and rest resolution is set to 16th.  Seperate midi channels is checked.

Any ideas as to what is happening... and suggestions on how to fix it?

Re: Problems with MIDI input from keyboard.

Reply #2
Okay, I read your reply and the linked thread you provided.  Thank you for that.  However, the thread never really defined what a "click track" is.  It did provide a link to a FAQ that indicated I need to open a rythmn file before recording, but at the moment I'm conceptualizing melodies and I really do NOT need a rythmn track playing.  It'll throw me off.

So I'm still not positive what you mean by a click track.  My best understanding is that I create a staff that is set at the proper tempo and holds many measures of whole rests... as many measure as I'll need for my playing.  Then I record what I play into a different staff, and NWC records it properly.

Am I correct? 

Reply #3
You need to play against an existing piece so that NWC knows how to interpret the timing of your performance.

See also:

FAQ - How do I record live play from my MIDI keyboard?
http://ntworthy.com/composer/faq/53.htm

Reply #4
A click track is a staff with each measure filled with quarter notes, or eighth notes if you prefer, or in compound meter filled with dotted quarter or eighth notes.  It functions as a metronome for NWC to align your MIDI input with the beat and for you to align your playing with NWC's Record function.  You may want to set it to MIDI ch. 10 and choose an appropriate percussion instrument, or use perhaps a woodblock or, more subtly, a quiet timpani stroke.  When you have finished recording your masterpiece, delete the click track or set it to mute.