Skip to main content
Topic: Hiding Accidentals on Layered Staff (Read 6859 times) previous topic - next topic

Hiding Accidentals on Layered Staff

Is it possible to hide just an accidental when two staves are layered?  Although not technically incorrect, seeing an accidental on the first note of the bar deriving from the "lower" layered staff, and the same accidental against a subsequent note of the same pitch deriving from the "upper" layered staff can confuse some accompanists.  My current workaround is to remove the second accidental to make the printed score "correct" but this messes up the playback!  Anyone got any other ideas?

Re: Hiding Accidentals on Layered Staff

Reply #1
What you can do is to put a hidden muted blankspace wholenote gracenote with appropriate accidental in front of the note that you don't want to have an accidental showing (and then the note without an accidental will play as if the accidenal were there).  Even though the grace note is muted, the hidden accidental still changes the note that follows.

Example

!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|Note|Dur:Whole,Grace|Pos:#0z|Opts:Muted|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Hope this helps.
Rich.

Reply #2
I have an intrinsic dislike of truly invisible items on the stave – you can never find them again. And I'm puzzled as to why people try to hide everything in the editor (i.e. they try to make it look as much like the printed version as possible) when functionally it is much more like the HTML behind a browser screen, which only becomes visible in all its glory when it is displayed (or the editor is 'viewed' in NWC).

Let all the grisly detail be shown in the editor and then you can always see what is going on!

My preference for the hidden accidental is:

|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:#0^|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0

where the grace note is hidden but not muted.

But everyone to his own I suppose.

Reply #3
My preference for the hidden accidental is where the grace note is hidden but not muted.
You are perhaps unique in your preference since the unmuted grace note distorts playback.

I would not care so much about keeping the editor display clean if I could toggle it to look like the Viewer Preview during playback.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #4
Quote from: Rick G.
I would not care so much about keeping the editor display clean if I could toggle it to look like the Viewer Preview during playback.

I concur absolutely - although it would be adequate if Eric would merely add a "play" button to the viewer preview. I have often wished for this; it would be a far better means of checking the accuracy of your notation than playback in the editor is. The ability to toggle the editor into viewer preview mode, instead of having it open in a separate window, would be better yet.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #5
Currently, you can pass a file from the Viewer to the Editor.  The unfortunate thing is that this closes the viewer and there is no way to pass the file back (at least that I have found).  Would this be what you are asking for?  I would certianly like that.

Reply #6
You are perhaps unique in your preference since the unmuted grace note distorts playback.

I think not. It is tied to the main note and has absolutely no effect on playback whatsoever!

Reply #7
Hi Cyril -

Actually, we're not talking about the viewer itself. We're talking about the Viewer Preview function of NWC2, which is accessed through the "view" menu. This opens a window on top of the editor that shows what the score will look like when it is opened in the viewer. It's like Print Preview in that all "visibility: never" objects are hidden, but like the editor in that it isn't formatted with system breaks or other page-formatting options. That makes it great for a quick view of the score without any of its undergarments showing (so to speak); but you can't hear it. Either a "play" button in Viewer Preview (as I have suggested) or the ability to toggle the editor to look like the viewer while keeping playback available (as Rick has suggested) would help a great deal.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #8
G'day Bill,
reckon you can add a +1 for me for that too.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #9
I think not. It is tied to the main note and has absolutely no effect on playback whatsoever!
My, my.
  • absolutely
  • whatsoever
  • exclamaton point
I'm sure that you thoughts are sincere, but you might want to look at some MIDI output before employing such language.

Reply #10
G'day Peter,

With respect mate, please consider the following example:
Code: [Select · Download]
|Instrument|Name:"Trumpet"|Patch:56|Bank:0,0|Trans:0|DynVel:10,30,45,60,75,92,108,127|Pos:9|Wide:Y
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:0
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:2
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th,Grace|Pos:#0|Opts:Muted|Visibility:Never
|Bar
|Note|Dur:4th|Pos:#0
|Bar

You will note that in bars 1 and 4 the first note holds longer than the second note...  Bars 2 and 3 are identical and "correct" IMHO
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #11
Ah - I don't think I have stumbled over that option, I was thinking that the discussion was about the print-preview.  I think that my "wish" is almost the equivalent to yours.

Reply #13
Yes, although honestly I have never used those tricks, probably don't do anything as complex.  What I was referring to was the player preview.

Reply #14
Hi Everyone

I appear to have opened a veritable Pandora's box plus a can or two of worms!  Thank you everyone for your contribution, the hidden grace note fits the bill perfectly, and to all intents and purposes playback from the editor (F5) remains unchanged.  Once again, thank you.

Kind regards

Bob Petty (UK)

Reply #15
I appear to have opened a veritable Pandora's box plus a can or two of worms!
Things are always open 'round here. About half of us revel in Noteworthy's ease of use while the other half go to extraordinary lengths to squeeze an extra bit of accuracy during playback or on the printed page.