Skip to main content
Topic: Script Programming Reference (Read 3101 times) previous topic - next topic

Script Programming Reference

Can anyone give me a straight answer to whether or not there is any kind of reference material available that will allow me to begin scripting user tools without having to "decompile" existing scripts? I frequently programme with PHP but I'm darned if I can make head or tail of what's going on. Surely Noteworthy hasn't launched this just a a piece of "geekery" - you know you're in the know when you know that everyone knows that you know how to know the stuff (but for heaven's sake, don't tell anyone who doesn't know what it is that you know).
HELP!

Re: Script Programming Reference

Reply #1
G'day Les,
umm, it kinda is a bit like that...

However, there are 2 useful resources.  But first a little info:

One of the tools supplied with the kit is "Variable Dump" - this allows you to see what data is in each element of the "clip text".  I use it a lot.  Also, copy and paste to a text editor will allow you to see the text strings that the user tool mechanism pases to the tools.  This gives you the format that must be parsed by the tool in order to decide how to manipulate the strings for the desired result.

If you visit the Scripto ( http://nwc-scriptorium.org/nwc2scripts.html ), there is further information available, including a "general discussion" paper: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/nwc2scripts/generaldiscussion.pdf (note this includes outdated url's back to the Scripto) and an "Invocation Instructions" document: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/nwc2scripts/invocationinstructions.pdf

There are also some additional user tools that may be of interest on the Scripto scripts page.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
User Tool Command may be helpful.

If you are interested in using VBScript or JScript, you can find versions of nwswStatisticsReport.php <here> and <here>,
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Thanks guys! It's too geeky even for someone like me who's been writing software for decades! I was hoping to create some tools to make scoring for my Garritan Personal Orchestra somewhat easier (mod-wheels on the control staff, etc.). Life's too short to spend my "time off" groping around blindly trying to write software - I get enough of that trying to write macros for Microsoft Powerpoint. That's what we call a "busman's holiday". It may be a pain but I'll muddle through with the standard tools. By the way, I can heartily recommend the sound rendering from the Garritan PO.

Reply #4
I never could grasp PHP but have several scripts using the The Semware Editor.  It reads and writes to the system clipboard instead of sysin and sysout so it is necessary to cut to the clipboard, invoke TSE (probably with a shortcut key), and paste back to the score.
Since 1998

Reply #5
To repeat what Lawrie already said, they do NOT have to be written in PHP.  When the program is run, it will be fed the selection into STDIN and STDOUT will go back to NWC.  You can use whatever programming language you feel like using, provided it has STDIN and STDOUT, which most text-based languages do.