Skip to main content
Topic: Layered staff with accidental collision (Read 3862 times) previous topic - next topic

Layered staff with accidental collision

This has probably been hashed over, but I could recognize it in the search.

See the attach snippet.  This is a pair of staves, layered.  Is there any way to let a bit of air between the G and the following accidental?

Re: Layered staff with accidental collision

Reply #1
1) Highlight the two adjacent notes in question (G and G#)
2) Ctrl-E (edit)
3) Enter a value of 1 in the "Extra Accidental Spacing" box
4) Click OK

Reply #2
G'day David and Cyril,
unfortunately, the extra accidental spacing doesn't do it in this case.  I just tried a quick test and I reckon the easiest way is to add a text entry with some space(s) in it set to left justify and to preserve width just prior to the F# on the lower staff.

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
   In general I think Lawrie's answer is best; it should work whatever the situation.  But in this particular case David is right ... if he meant give the extra accidental space to the upper staff crotchet A only!  The A may not have an accidental, but the extra space still shifts both it and the Fsharp to the right, away from the quaver G.
   MusicJohn, 29/Oct/08

Reply #4
But in this particular case David is right ... if he meant give the extra accidental space to the upper staff crotchet A only!  The A may not have an accidental, but the extra space still shifts both it and the Fsharp to the right, away from the quaver G.

Ahh, I thought I tried that...  (I have now, and, of course, it works) Thanks for correcting me John. 

David, I apologise for suggesting you were in error.  Clearly I was the one who was mistaken.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #5
Thank you for the answer(s).  What a great bunch!