Skip to main content
Topic: Midi problems (Read 5204 times) previous topic - next topic

Midi problems

Whenever I try to listen to a song I've made or have tried to make It says I have no Midi player and my Windows Media Player plays them and I've even put a player in the directory and it still says there are no available midi players to chose from. In the past on a computer with XP this hasn't been a problem but on Vista it just wont work. Also I need to know how to make the .nwc files int .mp3 files.

Re: Midi problems

Reply #1
Are your problems with MIDI players when you're trying to play from within NWC or after you've exported to MIDI?
If they're when you're playing within NWC, try this:
  • Go to the Tools Menu -> Options
  • Go to the MIDI tab
  • Make sure that there is a device on the right hand side (Devices used by play back)-if there is, something's horribly horribly wrong.  If there isn't (which there probably isn't, then move something (Microsoft MIDI Mapper is probably your best bet) from the left side to the right.

To convert .nwc files into .mp3 files, you should first export it to a .mid file with File->Export (or save as if you're using NWC1.x)  You can then use your preferred media software to convert it.

Reply #3
I already looked there because that's what comes up when I press playback.When I look at it there is nothing in either side.

Reply #4
Are you able to play a file with a mid extension?
Are files with a mid extension recognized as MIDI files in Explorer?
Registered user since 1996

Reply #5
I already looked there because that's what comes up when I press playback.When I look at it there is nothing in either side.

This suggests that NWC doesn't recognise there being a MIDI synth in your system at all...

Now, vista does ship with a MIDI synth (a pretty awful Roland based softsynth) so it should be in your available play devices list.  It would be called "Microsoft GW Wavetable SW Synthesizer" IIRC - It should also list "Microsoft MIDI Mapper".

The fact that WMP can play MIDIs but nothing else can see your synth suggests a registry screw-up somewhere.

Please try this:

Download, install and run "dosbox" (http://prdownloads.sourceforge.net/dosbox/DOSBox0.72-win32-installer.exe?download).

Now, SET A RESTORE POINT in System Restore!  (just in case all else fails...)

Next, run dosbox and type mixer /listmidi at the prompt.  You should get something like this:

0 "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth"

If you get no devices in this list please do not continue and instead report back

If there were additional midi devices connected to your computer they would show up in the list.  It would be a good idea to note down the id's. In the above example "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" has ID 0

If all is OK so far, open regedit and go to : HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\ActiveMovie\devenum\{4EFE2452-168A-11D1-BC76-00C04FB9453B}\Default MidiOut Device

Find the key named MidiOutId, I believe the default value is 0xffffffff (in hex)

Note the current value in case you need to restore it, and change it to the ID for your default midi playback device. E.G. Change the value to 0 for "Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth" or to any other ID for other devices, assuming, of course, that the MS synth is ID 0.

Now, if you restart Windows your available play device list should be populated and you should be able to add it to your playback device list.

======================================
As an alternative, you might like to check this out:
Go to: http://nwc-scriptorium.org/helpful.html#MIDI and look for the entry that refers to my "VST for dummies like me" guide.  This will give you access to better synths than the m$ one...

I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #6
The fact that WMP can play MIDIs but nothing else can see your synth suggests a registry screw-up somewhere.
I don't see where Beyond Chaos writes that his system can play MIDI's.

Also I need to know how to make the .nwc files into .mp3 files.
When I look at it there is nothing in either side.
suggests that he cannot. Especially if "either side" refers to either side of the Tools->Options...->Midi tab.

I suspect that MIDI support is not installed or is damaged.

I would suggest reinstalling the soundcard drivers. During reinstallation, you may need to select a custom option to enable MIDI support explicitly. I can easily believe that someone writing a driver for Vista might think that MIDI should no longer be installed by default.

After reinstallation, try opening a *.mid file. Until you can get your operating system to play a MIDI file, you will not have much luck getting any sound from NoteWorthy.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
G'day Rick,
I don't see where Beyond Chaos writes that his system can play MIDI's.

That's what I interpreted from this:
... and my Windows Media Player plays them ...

I suspect that MIDI support is not installed or is damaged.

Hence my previous missive...  Given that his system is running vista much of our prior experience becomes moot.

I would suggest reinstalling the soundcard drivers. During reinstallation, you may need to select a custom option to enable MIDI support explicitly. I can easily believe that someone writing a driver for Vista might think that MIDI should no longer be installed by default.

After reinstallation, try opening a *.mid file. Until you can get your operating system to play a MIDI file, you will not have much luck getting any sound from NoteWorthy.

My suspicion is that his system's sound is an onboard sound chip - no synth other than the m$ softsynth.  So the exploration using dosbox will reveal things about his system.  In any case, if all else fails the VST solution I've pointed him too will at least provide MIDI capability.  That said, it would be best to rectify the underlying problem.  I believe his Windows is corrupted somewhere.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.