Skip to main content
Topic: Microsoft Midi Mapper and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth (Read 9457 times) previous topic - next topic

Microsoft Midi Mapper and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth

When I use Microsoft Midi Mapper and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth TOGETHER as a Play Back, They kept on saying this message that "it didn't open properly". And I have no idea why this is happening.

Help!

Re: Microsoft Midi Mapper and Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth

Reply #1
G'day Kristopher,
MIDI mapper is a logical name for another synth and is assigned by default to the ms GS wavetable synth.  You can change the synth MIDI mapper points to in control panel.

You can't address the same synth "twice" in this fashion.  To use both MIDI mapper AND the ms GS wavetable, the MIDI mapper must be assigned to another synth.  If you don't have another one then you can't...

From what you've said in another post I'm guessing you're trying to have separate MIDI channels for each instrument in a large score.  Unless you actually have another synth then you have a problem.  FWIW you don't really need separate channels for, say, 1st and 2nd violin - for the most part they can share a MIDI channel.  Ditto the Horns etc..  So long as the sounds are the "same" OR two instruments NEVER play at the same time then channel sharing is an acceptable compromise. 

It also aids in being able to share files as not everyone will have access to more than one synth.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Great Lawrie! But what you are saying about 1st and 2nd Violins assign to the same MIDI channal that's what I've been already doing.

The instruments I DEMAND TO BE USED in NWC2 are listed below; (I'm like Berlioz or Copland or Stravinsky):

Piccolo, Flute in C, Alto Flute, Bass Flute, Oboe, English Horn, Bass Oboe, Piccolo Clarinet in Ab and Eb, Clarinet in A and B, Bass Clarinet, Contrabass Clarinet, Bassoons, Contrabassoon, French Horns in F, Eb, D, C, Wagner Tuba, Piccolo Trumpet, Trumpet, Bass- Trumpet, Alto Trombone, Tenor Trombone, Bass Trombone, Contrabass Trombone, Euphonium, Tuba, Timpani, Large Purcussion Section, Chimes, Glockenspiel, Xylophone, Marimba, Celesta, Acoustic Guitar, Lute, Mandolin, Harmonica, Accordian, Harpsicord, Harp, Piano, Pipe Organ, Violin, Viola, Cello, Double Bass.

All Strings are assign to the Same Midi channal (A Problem when one staff playing pizzicato and another playing acro at the same time), Flutes except piccolo are the same channal, trumpets and Cornets are the same, so is trombones and Tuba, and horns AND Bassoons etc!

So When you said about when I don't have any other synth then the problem won't be fixed, right???

Reply #3
G'day Kristopher,
What sound card do you have?

If it's one of the usual on board things then we need to look for an alternative solution...

However, during my (still very incomplete) investigations with VST stuff I found that it should be possible to run multiple instances of VSTSynthfont.  With the use of multiple MIDIYoke "ports" individually assigned to VSTSynthfont instances you can achieve multiples of 16 MIDI channels.

See https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=6528.0 for some introductory info - I plan to expand this significantly but it will take some time.

Reply #4
My Soundcard is "Conexant High Definition SmartAudio HD2". The Brand is "Roland". So is there any problem?

Lawrie?

Reply #5
G'day Kristopher,
that's what's in my HP notebook that I'm using as a vista testbed.

It has no hardware synth, so I reckon the cheapest and easiest way might to be to try the VST thing I suggested.  Is there enough info in the thread I sent you to or will you need some additional help?

Reply #6
when I don't have any other synth then the problem won't be fixed, right???
right.

The 'Microsoft GS Wavetable Synth' is a very poor synth. Even if you could map it to several virtual devices simultaneously (which you can't), it would still sound bad.
Registered user since 1996