Skip to main content
Topic: Ties and slurs blocking the time signature and beaming (Read 2603 times) previous topic - next topic

Ties and slurs blocking the time signature and beaming

I've got a problem when I was changing the time signiture from 3/8 to 3/16. The slurs and ties on the viola and cello part are blocking the time signature and it looks bad! I've seen peices where they write the time signature OVER the slur or tie.

And now for the beaming part... I can't beem notes when there's a CLEF between it (I just don't want too many ledger lines).

What's the solution??

Re: Ties and slurs blocking the time signature and beaming

Reply #1
G'day Kristopher,
you can modify the curve of a slur with hidden, muted grace note(s).

As for the beaming over a clef, try using staff layering.  clef in one layer, beamed notes in the other.  You'll probably need to play with extra note spacing - you will also need to add either an instrument patch with different transposition (NWC2) or a hidden, sounding staff to give the right sounds.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
I agree with Lawrie.

As to ties, notes should not be tied across a Clef change.

Examples of ties across a TimeSig are rare, but the few I've seen are done much as NWC2 does them. The tie is not moved to avoid the TimeSig.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
Two things to try (if you haven't done so already):
  • Force the direction of the slurs to avoid the time signature.
  • Insert some spaces (check "preserve width") before or after the new time signature
HTH
Since 1998