Skip to main content
Topic: Why is it speeding up? (Read 3216 times) previous topic - next topic

Why is it speeding up?

I can't work out why a score is suddenly speeding up.

The song is AABA format with the BA repeated using Dal Segno  and Segno so the repeat uses the same melody line.bass and other instruments but half way through the repeat the tempo increases.

There is a swing tempo staff but I have replaced this (in case there was an error) with no success.

Has anyone else had this happen?

Re: Why is it speeding up?

Reply #1
<This> is the only problem I can recall that wasn't caused by a Tempo, mpc:tempo or TempoVariance.

Tempo, mpc:tempo and TempoVariance are observed even if the entire Staff is muted.

I argue here:
I would expect a muted staff to be removed from playback.
This would allow the user to set up multiple tempi and MPC staves and experiment by muting staves. Currently, I copy the staves into NotePad and insert/delete them from NWC. I can't save a work in progress, without starting the whole process over.
that this should be changed, but no change has been made.

You can use the Find Command on each staff for this. Find by expression with: |Tempo will find Tempo and TempoVariance, mpc:tempo can be found with: |*tempo

A discussion of the many uses of the Find Command can be found <here>.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #2
G'day Snooker,

There is a swing tempo staff but I have replaced this (in case there was an error) with no success.

Umm, lemme guess, the swing tempo staff is probably a single bar with a high number of local repeats...  Did you take into account that when you do your DS in the song that there needs to be additional iterations in the tempo staff repeat count to accommodate this?

My reasoning is thus:  The last tempo instruction in the swing tempo staff will be the short quaver at the end of the bar.  With nothing following to alter this the tempo will now be running at 3/2 times the original base tempo.  So if, for example, the A section is 32 bars and the B section is 16 bars you have a total of A+A+B+A+B+A = 140 bars BUT the bar numbering will only be A+A+B+A = 112.  So, your repeated swing tempo bar needs to take this into account.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #3
Hi Rick and Lawrie

I wish I was clever like you guys.

Rick; the Find Command info looks interesting. I've printed off the discussion to study it.

Lawrie - you put me on the right track and I can see your logic.
When I came to look at the score again I realised the D S and S had not been added to the swing tempo staff.
The problem was as simple as that.
I tend to shout for help too soon I guess.

Thanks to you both.

Reply #4
G'day Snooker,
glad ya figgered it out.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.