Skip to main content
Topic: Volume changes (Read 4330 times) previous topic - next topic

Volume changes

I am a bit confused with midi controllers, dynamic variance etc.
What is the simplest way to change the volume of an individual instrument in the middle of a score.

Re: Volume changes

Reply #1
The simplest method is simply to insert a dynamic. In NWC, these go from ppp (very soft) to fff (very loud). You will find them on one of the toolbars, or in the menu under insert|dynamic.

If you want a gradual change in volume, use a dynamic variance, such as crescendo or decrescendo. The dynamic variance goes where you want the change to start, and the new dynamic level goes where you want the change to end. There also has to be a dynamic level stated somewhere before the variance. For example, to go from soft to loud (p to f) over two measures, place a p dynamic someplace before the two measures; place a crescendo at the beginning of the two measures; and place an f dynamic at the end of the two measures.

This method will fail if you need to change the volume of a single held note. This is due to the normal MIDI method of handling note volume, which usually controls just the volume of the attack (called "velocity"), not the volume of the held part of the note. This is where you need a multipoint controller. MPC's can be somewhat tricky to use; if this is what you need, I suggest doing a search of this forum on the search term MPC. The subject has been discussed often, and you can probably find the information you need. A little experimentation will also help. If you still need a step-by-step guide, let us know.

Hope this helps....

Bill

Reply #2
Thanks Bill

I think I have done what you describe but I cannot hear any increase in volume.

When I enter the Dynamic do I need to adjust the velocity and volume values?

Snooker

Reply #3
No, you don't - at least, not usually. Can you post an exact description of what you are writing and where the problem is?

Reply #4
Thanks Bill,

I have sorted myself out now and can see that it's working fine.

Many thanks.

Reply #5
The key to having dyamic variances (diminuendo, decrescendo or crescendo ) play properly is to use starting and target dynamics, even if you don't want to see them in the printed score. 

To crescendo from p to f, place the dynamic p before the command, then insert crescendo, and add f after it.  If you don't want these to print, the visibility of p and f can be set to "never." 

Note if you use hairpins (available in NWC2), their distance from the staff is controlled by the height of the preceding dynamic marking, whether or not that mark is visible.  To move a hairpin up or down, you just move that dyamic mark.  If the hairpin starts from the note with the first dynamic, there will be an overprint, so you have to right-justify the dyamic mark.

Reply #6
Thanks David

I don't have NWC2 so I don't know what a hairpin is.

Is it some sort of bookmark?

I took a quick look at your Ellington site. Good work!

Reply #7
A hairpin describes the decrescendo and crescendo signs that look sort of like < and >.

Glad you enjoyed http://ellingtonweb.ca - I need to update it, but there seems to be so many things to do this year.