Skip to main content
Topic: NWC2 Viewer for Mac (Read 4296 times) previous topic - next topic

NWC2 Viewer for Mac

Hi All

Searched the forum but can't find a recent article on this.  I publish my SATB work to our restricted choir members-only website and then my choir members use the free NWC2 viewer to rehearse their individual voice parts.  For the first time in 3 years I now have a member that uses Apple Mac and he's pulling his hair out that he can't use his mac to rehearse.

Does anyone know of a way that he can install NWC2 Viewer and use it on a Mac?

Thanks all

Clif

Re: NWC2 Viewer for Mac

Reply #1
Bootcamp?
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Lauwrie, not sure I get that!

Reply #3
Sorry Cliff, I was being a teensy bit cheeky - "Bootcamp" is a means of dual booting Intel based macs to either Mac OSX or Windows XP.

More seriously, I'm sure I've read somewhere of there being a Windows emulator for Mac somewhere - I seem to recall an erstwhile Newsgroup member was thinking about it when she gave up on the Wintel world and went Mac - wanted to keep using NWC and couldn't.  Perhaps Richard may remember the product that was mentioned - was a looong time ago
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
I do remember the discussion, I do remember the person (how could I not !) but my memory fails as far as the product name is concerned.

BUT  I am sure that my son has used it. I will check with him when I get home tonight.
Rich.

Reply #5
Just caught him before he went out. The name was "Parallels".  He says that there are other emulators that are cheaper, but this one has a reasonable reputation.

This may help

http://www.macwindows.com/emulator.html
Rich.

Reply #6
Hi, Richard -

Well, Parallels isn't really a Windows emulator; it's a virtualizer.  It allows you to run Windows within a Mac Window, but you must have a licensed copy of Windows software to make it work.  Another virtualizer that has received great reviews is VMWare for the Mac.  It pretty much does the same thing that BootCamp does.   My son's computer (MacBook Pro) has VMWare, and if you make the "Windows Window" full screen, it's just like running a Windows machine.  You have to allocate the necessary memory and hard disk resources for it, but it works pretty nicely.  Again, though, you have to have a copy of Windows to make it work.

There are emulators, such as WINE (which is probably the most prevalent), but it generally takes a little work to get things going.

For my son's computer, since he's going off to college, we were able to buy most of the software at educational prices, which helped alot.  So we got Windows XP-Pro Upgrade for about $90 (I used an old Windows 98 disk as a basis for the upgrade), VMWare was around $40.
John

Reply #7
you can actually get a copy of windows 98, which i imagine would be fine for the purposes of just running the viewer
from computer exchange for about £25.