Skip to main content
Topic: Information on String Compositions (Read 7250 times) previous topic - next topic

Information on String Compositions

I am attempting to produce my first composition for stringed orchestra using NoteWorthy Composer.  I have found the resources on the Scriptorium quite helpful, but was wondering if anyone might have more information on strings.

For instance, I am wondering how you would notate position information for high schoolers, what are the ranges of each position, as opposed to simply the string ranges (open fingering).

Also, how would you grade stringed orchestra music?  How do you break the pieces into parts; for instance, do you ever have a Cello I and II?  Do you ever write multiple lines for one part (diads for Violin I, for instance)?

I know, it sounds like its time for music school, but I wasn't planning on changing careers, just a hobby.

I blame all this on Tina for inspiring me through her outstanding efforts!

Thanks, and Merry Christmas!

Re: Information on String Compositions

Reply #1
Hello there! I think I can help! Especially with fingerings and such, considering I'm a junior in high school and am very familiar with the string orchestra.

Notating positions isn't too complicated. The positions are often marked with Roman numerals. For instance, if the composer/editor decided that a passage should be played in the third position, a Roman numeral three would be placed above the first note of the passage, along with the numbered fingering on at least the first note. If you don't know this already, the fingers are numbered 1-4, 1 being the index finger, 2 the middle finger, 3 the ring finger, and finally 4, the little finger or pinky (whatever you call it ;-)), each finger producing a higher tone in that order. The positions are as follows:

First position-The lowest position on the instrument. Range-lowest string G (G below middle C) to the D above middle C, open string D to the A above middle C, open string A to E two octaves above middle C, then highest string E to B two octaves above middle C. The open strings are, from highest to lowest, G, D, A, E, and each tone can be produced with the 'fourth' finger on the next lowest string (except the G string--it is always open).

Second position-This is an awkward position and takes some getting used to, so it isn't used much in high school. But it starts where the second finger would normally touch on the string. For example, on the A string, the second finger would normally be used to play the C one octave above middle C, but in second position, this note is played with the first (or index) finger. This allows a player to play C-F# on this one string.

Third position and above-Third position is the most common position other than first. On the G string, the first finger is placed to produce middle C, normally played by the third finger in first position. This allows the player to play C-F# on this one string. Moving to the next higher string (D) allows the player to play  G-C#, the next string (A) D-G#, and the highest string (E) A-D#. As the player moves into higher positions he can achieve higher notes and can prevent string crossings that would make some pieces awkward and more difficult than they have to be.

This is all I have time for now. You can e-mail about anymore specific questions that you have Der_Musikstubengelehrter@hotmail.com

Hopefully all of that made some sense, but I can answer anymore questions or more specific questions you have about the positions and such if you e-mail me and I can get back to it another time.

HTH!

Daniel

Reply #2
Thanks, Daniel!

This is very helpful information...

Merry Christmas!

Reply #3
Hi, I am a cellist and happen to love instrument arranging.  As in one of your other topics, I am looking for a program that will convert MP3's to Midi... to save me all the trouble!!!) but I'd have to wait another dacade I think for that to happen! Here are a few tips to help you along with your composing.

When composing for a string ensemble, usually the format is violin 1, violin 2, viola, cello and Bass.

Ranges:

Violin 1.  Plays the melody line.  usually are assigned the higher notes using I, III and V positions . Note that the latter position comprises of very high notes from E above the stave upwards. Clef: Treble.

Violin 2. usually have the lower of the parts using mainly I and III positions. Highest note played is usually D above the stave (4th finger on the E string in IIIrd position) Clef: Treble

Viola.  This is the middle range of the orchestra and usually plays the harmony of the piece .  It's Range is from C below middle C upwards although to get the best out of viola, it is best assigned notes not higher than top E on the stave in the treble clef.  Celf: Alto.

Cello.  Not quite the bass, sometimes it is given the bass line if there is no double bass present, but normally, with the cello having a singing voice, (yes I am quite biast sorry)... It is assigned a counter melody or harmony that accompanies the viola. Range from C below the bass clef up to mid range treble.  In a string ensemble, you can also assign various solo pieces to any instrument it can be either a complete piece or sections of the piece being played.  In the case of the latter, all you do it put SOLO above the part or section you want only 1 instrument to play.

Bass. The ultimate bass line.  Range From E below the bass stave upwards.  Open strings being the opposite of the violin: E, A, D, G.  To avoid ledger lines, the bass usually reads notation an octave higher.  To get the best out of the bass, no not assign notes too high and avoid ledger lines!

I hope I have been of help... If you need any more assistance.. please no not hesitate to contact me.

You might also find these links interesting...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stringed_instruments
http://www.dolmetsch.com/musictheory29.htm
http://www.psbspeakers.com/audio-topics/The-Frequencies-of-Music

Regards

Reply #4
Hi Tiger:

Welcome to the NoteWorthy Community!

Please note you are replying to a thread started over 2 ½ years ago, so you might not get an answer.
Since 1998

Reply #5
G'day Tiger,
welcome!
Please note you are replying to a thread started over 2 ½ years ago, so you might not get an answer.

but he did Warren :)

Good info too.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.