Skip to main content
Topic: Using MIDI input (Read 4242 times) previous topic - next topic

Using MIDI input

Hi all,

I'm horribly new to this - I spent my childhood putting notes manually into a copy of Maestro for an Acorn!

I now have my Yamaha E303 linked to the PC and would like to know the best way of inputting to NWC using it. How well does NWC pick up the notes? Do you have any tips I should before I start?

Many thanks!

Jenny.

Re: Using MIDI input

Reply #1
G'day Jenny,
welcome!

Recording MIDI - been doin' a bit of this lately with one of the guy's from my church - hardly any corrections - he's got great rhythm!

First, see http://www.noteworthysoftware.com/composer/faq/53.htm and https://forum.noteworthycomposer.com/?topic=1988.0

I know they seem a bit sparse so...

Couple of things you NEED to make sure of:
  • Your MIDI keyboard needs to be correctly connected to your MIDI interface
  • Correct settings in your |Tools|Options|Record (tab)| - this especially includes selecting the correct MIDI Input device which will be the name of the MIDI interface, NOT the name of your MIDI keyboard.
  • In your |Tools|Options|MIDI (tab) select a low latency output device - IE a HARDWARE synth, not a software one!  (This helps with keeping up with the click track)
  • In your |Tools|Options|Import (Tab) you may need to experiment a bit - I've found that 16th note and 8th rest resolution works fairly well.  Otherwise the defaults are a good starting point
  • USE A CLICK TRACK - without it you basically can't do squat.  Take the time to get the tempo of the click track right and it will make life MUCH easier.  This is the main reason you need a low latency synth - with high latency synths you end up with your input being late.
  • Have FUN

A click track is basically just a rhythm source.  NWC's advice is to use a rhythm template when creating a new song.  This is a good idea.  Personally, I prefer to just lay down a straight click - a metronome if you prefer - say a "rim shot" in the percussion channel.  Make sure the click track is long enough for the song - or at least the part you're recording. 

I usually us a 1 . 2 . 1 2 3 4 (2 bar) count in followed by a 1 2 3 4 count bar between local repeats with the repeat number set high enough to capture what I'm recording and to spare...

See attached example.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Re: Using MIDI input IN Concertmate Keyboard to work

Reply #2
  Dear Jenny,                                                              May 31,2008

I saw this in your log, I am having a bit of trouble getting my  IN-PUT TO WORK ON MY CONCERTMATE 900 with my Midi USB CABLE.  I hope this infomation help me. I will study it.

Thank you

KatyAnnRose55 
Kathleen Gleeson