Skip to main content
Topic: How do I enter figured bass notation? (Read 3345 times) previous topic - next topic

How do I enter figured bass notation?

I've run into a situation where I need to enter figured bass notation in the score.  I can't figure out how to get 6/4, etc. for the inversions notated.  Any suggestions?

TIA,
Bill

Re: How do I enter figured bass notation?

Reply #1
Enter the figures as text directly before the bass note they apply to, using page small text as the font and positioning them vertically so that they are beneath the bass line. On the "Expression Placement" tab, choose "Alignment/Placement" at next note/bar, and make sure the "Preserve Width" box is unchecked. For numbers that need to be vertically aligned, simply do this for both numbers, setting the vertical alignment of the lower number so that it tucks in beneath the upper one; they will both align properly with the next note.

To save yourself some work, you can copy and paste the more complex figured bass expressions (such as 6/4). You may still have to adjust them vertically - which can be done quickly by selecting the anchor points of both numbers and then using shift/cntrl/up-arrow (or down-arrow).

Hope this helps....

Bill