Skip to main content
Topic: Can you understand? (Read 2759 times) previous topic - next topic

Can you understand?

I was listening the attached file in WinAmp (with plugin_nwc2winamp_v2beta2 installed, of course) when I noticed an odd time change in bar 58.

For sure I didn't put it there, but also I never heard it before.
Indeed, playing that file using NWC2 or playing the exported midi file has not that problem.

It seems like WinAmp plugin has an interference between pitch bend and tempo.
Is it a problem of my sound card (SB basic)?
Someone else can replicate this problem?

Can you understand? ;-)

Re: Can you understand?

Reply #1
You might want to try a larger Sweep Resolution, and see if that helps. An example is shown in this clip:

Code: [Select · Download]
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|MPC|Controller:pitch|Style:Linear Sweep|TimeRes:Quarter|SweepRes:100|Pt1:0,8192|Pt2:1,4111|Pos:8|Wide:Y
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #2
Hi Eric.

If I get your point, you say that a lot of pitch wheel events can overload the midi channel.
Well, it seems you're right.
(Ok, a step of 1 is too small in this case, silly me!).

But in that case I would have expected a slow down or a missing note; that's not the case, the problem is a speeding up!

The exported midi file contains far less pitch wheel events than you would expect. The average step is about 22.
This can easily explain why it doesn't show the problem.

Anyway, if there is no problem when using NWC2 for playback, what's different when using the winamp plugin?

Thank you
Maurizio

P.S. Always about the winamp plugin: the winamp cursor should change the volume but it doesn't change anything; I must open the windows mixer and adjust the synth or/and the main slider.

Reply #3
The Winamp plugin uses the Windows MCI (Media Control Interface) in conjunction with dynamically generated MIDI files. This is quite different from the way NWC and the NWC Viewer play back files, which natively perform the files using an internal performance engine.

The step size for MIDI controller sweeps should not be smaller than what can fit into the MIDI stream using the NWC MIDI timing parameters. This is why you see an actual step size that is larger than what you specified.