Skip to main content
Topic: What to use instead of Yamaha S-YXG50 on Windows Vista as "playback devide"? (Read 5155 times) previous topic - next topic

What to use instead of Yamaha S-YXG50 on Windows Vista as "playback devide"?

I have a problem with playback device. Very very very great Yamaha S-YXG50 was terminated and I am looking for something, which will be equally good, cheap and easy like that and working on Windows Vista. Your tips?
Thanks a lot!

Re: What to use instead of Yamaha S-YXG50 on Windows Vista as "playback devide"?

Reply #1
G'day Rike,
yeah...  The fact that the S-YXG50 won't work on vista is a fundamental (though not the only) reason why I won't be downgrading to vista this year...

If you have a soundcard that handles soundfonts then the "Airfont-340" ain't bad, many sounds are similar to the Yam.  If you want a copy and can't find it on the net then let me know and I'll try to get it to you.

It does have a few bugs, like a "percussive" flute - I fixed my copy with Vienna...

Otherwise, there is S. Christian Collins "General User GS" - dunno what version he's up to, but all the examples I've tried have been good.

The "Merlin" series has some good sounds too.

Of course, the "best" one will always be a subjective consideration but these are my choices for GM.

If you want a good sax sound for Jazz, especially big band, then the "Chaos 8MB" has good ones.  The rest of the instruments aren't great, but for such a small font are surprisingly effective.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.