Skip to main content
Topic: 2 note tuplet (Read 9019 times) previous topic - next topic

2 note tuplet

How do I set up a 2 note tuplet?  I see a function for a triplet, but don't see one when I highlight 2 notes only.

Re: 2 note tuplet

Reply #1
NWC supports only triplets.  All the other "n-tuplets" have to be faked with text entries.  If you're writing more than one staff of music, you need to pad the corresponding bars in the other staffs with hidden rests to make the bar lines align.

Reply #2
   Hi, LovesSinging.

As David says, Noteworthy only supports triplets.  However, you get the playing effect of a duplet by simply single-dotting each of the two relevant notes.  Thus, two crotchets become two dotted crotchets, two quavers two dotted quavers, and so on.  Do this on a hidden staff, and mute the two notes on the visible staff.

Regards,

MusicJohn, 14/Jan/08

Reply #3
What I have done is put two notes and a rest on a staff, and made those a triplet. then you can  set the visibility for the rest to "never" (highlight rest, press alt, enter)
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Clef|Type:Treble
|TimeSig|Signature:4/4
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Rest|Dur:8th,Triplet|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:2|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:0|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-5|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Bar
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-4|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-2|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=First|Pos:1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=First
|Rest|Dur:8th,Triplet|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th,Triplet=End|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Down,Beam=End
|Note|Dur:Half|Pos:-2
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End
-DAVID COOPER

Reply #4
I think the original poster wants a doublet when triplets are the norm as MusicJohn pointed out.  On a hidden staff, use dotted eights notes and on the visible staff, use ordinary 8ths separated by hidden 16ths.  See attached.
Since 1998

Reply #5
And a short note to LovesSinging:

Welcome to the NWC forums.  You'll find NWC is elegantly simple and inexpensive, and takes up very little memory. 

Part of its magic is that the programmer has built in various tools that will allow users to create workarounds for almost anything they need to do.  Your duplet is possible with the workarounds described here.

Reply #6
Warren has the basic form in clip85.nwc

You may have to shift the first rest up/down to get the beam to look right. Even invisible rests will affect beam angles. Verify this in Print Preview as beam angles have been known to vary between the editor and Print Preview.

Wait until the song is complete and laid out properly before trying to center the 2's with respect to the beams. This is one of the most vexing text alignment problems in NoteWorthy.

IMO, NWC would be improved if it provided for an alignment "at next beam" so text could be centered there.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #7
In this case, I would center the 2s over the invisible rests.

Reply #8
You shouldn't. It is not the center of the beam.

Sorry about a(n) NWC2 clip in the NWC board, but:
!NoteWorthyComposerClip(2.0,Single)
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=First
|Text|Text:"2"|Font:StaffItalic|Pos:8|Justify:Center|Placement:AtNextNote
|Rest|Dur:16th|Visibility:Never
|Note|Dur:8th|Pos:-1|Opts:Stem=Up,Beam=End
!NoteWorthyComposerClip-End

Reply #9
Print preview shows a terminal weakness in this approach! The problem is that invisible items take up no space when printed so the two will inevitably move over the next note.

You could make the rest visible and massively offset downwards or simply align the text left on the first note with space padding.

Reply #10
Print preview shows a terminal weakness in this approach! The problem is that invisible items take up no space when printed so the two will inevitably move over the next note.
True for NWC2. The price you pay for invisble items taking up zero space. NWC 1.75 gets it a bit closer.

You could make the rest visible and massively offset downwards
In tight spacing, this will put too much space between the notes. Whether the rest will center in the beam will depend on accidentals and the contents of other staves.

or simply align the text left on the first note with space padding.
Which will require adjustment if the layout changes. This is how I usually do it, but it is inadequate.

The duple is much harder than other tuplets because the beam is so short. Even small deviations from center are quite noticable.

Reply #11
True for NWC2. The price you pay for invisble items taking up zero space.

Is there a way to set Preserve Width for invisible items?  If not, should there be?

Reply #12
Is there a way to set Preserve Width for invisible items?  If not, should there be?
You can set it, but it is ignored. IMO, this is as it should be.

Invisible notes/rests affect slurs. I prefer this until better slur controls are provided.

Reply #13
You shouldn't. It is not the center of the beam.
It works okay in v.1.75 (on my system anyway).
You could make the rest visible and massively offset downwards...
You could make the rest white and mildly offset downwards.

Reply #14
It works okay in v.1.75 (on my system anyway)
You still have to pad the 2 on the left to get it to center. If there are accidentals on the 2nd note, you have to pad even more.

I doubt that NWC 1.x will be changed to make this process any easier.
I'll save my thoughts on NWC2 for a topic in [NWC2] General Discussion.