Skip to main content
Topic: Edit window - possible glitch  (Read 7218 times) previous topic - next topic

Edit window - possible glitch

I have an 8 staff score set to zoom 100% and with default staff settings.   The screen will display 7 staffs with my settings, but not all 8. 

I can move from one staff to another with {page down} or {page up}, but when I move to a staff which is beyond the top or bottom edge of the screen, the display should scroll.  It doesn't. 

This seems to be new undesirable behaviour.  Has anyone else noticed it?  For what it's worth, I believe this is the first time in a while I started with a new file instead of opening an old one to use as a template.  I tested a couple of already written files and the staffs seem to move up and down as they should.

Operating system=Windows XP Pro; fast PC clone desktop computer.  NOC 19" flat screen display set to 1152 x 864 , Microsoft Natural keyboard (articulated); Logitech cordless wheelmouse.

Staff metrics are 16 point NWC2STDA.  All fonts are defaults except user1 which is MusikDingsSerif 16.

Re: Edit window - possible glitch

Reply #1
Page up/down scrolls properly but moving to half hidden stave with the mouse does not bring it fully into view, and using the arrow keys just takes the cursor off the screen. Seems to be the same on existing files too. Probably not ideal.

Reply #2
I created an eight staff song by selecting the <Blank Score> template and then pressing Alt+A seven times. Scrolls fine, using the wheel or clicking on the scroll bar. Intermittently, PgDn or Ctrl+End just make the cursor move to a staff without scrolling it into view. Ctrl+Home seems to work all the time. Not all that annoying, I don't know if it is new behaviour. I ususally work with 8 or more staves.

Win98SE, NVIDIA TNT RIVA Model 64 Video Card, 1152x864x32 Screen.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #3
I have noticed this behaviour too.

If you <Page-Dn> to a staff that is "below" the edit window, the screen doesn't automatically show, but if you <Page-Dn> AGAIN to the next staff below that, additional staves will come into view...  Not necesasarily just the 2 you have paged to...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #4
I think this behavior may be an artifact of staff spacing. I think NWC considers a "staff" to be not just the staff lines, but the lines above and below the staff that are designated under "vertical size" in staff properties. As long as at least one of these lines is on the screen, the program considers the staff to be on-screen and so doesn't scroll.

I agree with Rick that this is a minor annoyance that doesn't significantly impact use of the program. However, it should also be pretty easy to fix.

Bill

Reply #5
When I do the tests Rick described, I get the same result.

Lawrie suggested a double page down worked.  I tried it, and it does if the target staff is not the bottom one in your score.  I added several staffs, and the ones below the bottom of the window will move into view unless the page down is going to the very last one.

Bill probably nailed the reason for the behaviour, but then, why didn't it happen before?   

With several of us confirming the behaviour to one degree or another, I'm going to call it a buglet (minor unintended behaviour, not major disaster, but an annoying distraction). 

Hopefully it won't be too difficult for Eric to fix.

Thanks, gents.  And if I didn't say it before, Happy New Year.

david

Reply #6
I don't think pressing <pg dn> twice actually scrolls the screen. It moves the cursor two staves down. The staff it moves to is now totally off the screen (including the spacing lines above the written staff), so the program issues a page down command, which moves the staff the cursor is now on to the top of the visible window. The problem with this is that you have now skipped a staff: the staff you originally wanted to see, which was off the bottom of the screen, has now gone off the top of the screen. A single <pg up> takes care of this, but it's an annoyance added to an annoyance. Still not enough, in my opinion, to trigger an urgent need for repair, but it would be nice to see it fixed if it isn't too much trouble.

And I think, David, that the problem has probably been here all along. If I'm correct about the cause, it will only show up if one (or more) of the vertical-spacing lines on the staff the cursor moves to remains on the screen. This will vary with screen size and vertical spacing. It may simply have not happened to you before.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #7
"It may simply have not happened to you before" - how true.
Following Rick's instructions the problem is reproduced within seconds, and I cannot remember it ever having bugged me.
It's funny: blind typing in Noteworthy! Entering notes, rests and whatnots works perfectly - only you don't see a thing!
And just NWC2, not 1.75 . The remedy may be trivial. It usually is. Finding the place where the bug lurks maybe time consuming. But 17.5 having the better of NWC2... hey, that can't be right, can it?

Reply #8
I agree with Bill's Reply nr.6, except what I've done is not <pg dn> twice but once, and then enter - which then means ctrl+Z to get rid of the note I just entered.  And yes, the problem has probably been here all along, at least as far back as I can remember.
And I'm still on 1.75 (long story...).

Reply #9
I'm encountering it now.  I didn't remember when I started this thread that the file was created by the mxml2nwcc.exe utility, copying an xml file created with Sharpeye.  I'm started another such file yesterday and am encountering the same problem.

Depending on what I'm working with, I will work horizontally or vertically.  In the current chart, the top line is a complicated solo, but the next several staffs are simple, with similar rests and so on.  Right now I did the entire solo part start to finish, and am now back on pages 2 and 3 of the score, copying from staff 2 to staffs 3, 4, 5, etc. 

It is a new phenomenon.  I have done probably 50 scores since the initial betatesting of version 2.  For the past year or so, I haven't done very much, so it's either a problem introduced by one of the upgrades in the past year, or it's a problem with the way mxml2nwcc.exe creates the NWC2 file. 

Either way, it's very frustrating.  I truly think it qualifies as a tropical bug and needs to be squashed.

Reply #10
G'day David,
I concur.  I'm sure it's a relatively recent occurance and while I too haven't been very active notation wise for maybe 5 or 6 months I've been doing some stuff with a songwriter at my church and it's become a real nuisance.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #11
Thanks for the report. This will be corrected in Beta 2.23. The new automatic shift into view should be much more satisfactory than the Beta 2.22 mechanism.

Reply #13
Perfect! Thanks, Eric.