Skip to main content
Topic: Software Question (Read 6216 times) previous topic - next topic

Software Question

Looking for software that will allow me to put in notes from my digital piano and also insert the written note.

Picture below is from  "Noteworthy Composer"
The notes below the staff were put in manually.
Anyone know of software that will do this automatically ?

Thanks

<Image Link>

Re: Software Question

Reply #1
G'day dannac,
it should be possible to create a user tool to do it - but the entries would be text entries, not in the lyrics editor...  We can't edit lyrics with user tools.
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #2
Hi Lawrie

"User Tool" .... is this something I can setup myself from within NWC ?

Thanks
Danna

Reply #3
We will make an online NWC2 tool for this. Details will be posted when they are complete.

Reply #4
Thank You

Reply #5
A little side note- perhaps it could also be possible to do the same with chord names? A tool that could, perhaps, analyze the harmonies in a score and then insert a text for the most common chord associated with them? There would be a substantial margin of error, but I would much rather edit one or two incorrect text entries than put  all the chords in manually. Too far fetched?
-DAVID COOPER

Reply #6
       online NWC2 tool  

what is that ?

Reply #7
G'day Dave,
no, not too far fetched, but decidedly non-trivial too.  I would like to see this myself, but I don't expect it in a hurry...

G'day dannac,
NWC2 has the ability to make use of "User Tools".  These are pieces of software that can be written to accept a stream of data from the NWC2 editor - process the contents in some way, and return the stream to NWC2 as a replacement.

There are MANY user tools that have already been created.  May I refer you to some "light reading" ;)

http://nwc-scriptorium.org/nwc2scripts.html  contains links to the "starter kit" which is an important starting point (pun intended).

http://nwc-scriptorium.org/ftp/nwc2scripts/generaldiscussion.pdf  and
http://nwc-scriptorium.org/ftp/nwc2scripts/invocationinstructions.pdf

are also useful references.  At the very least, read the general discussion.  It will open things up a bit for you.  The invocation instructions are a bit more, umm, detailed and while useful, doesn't really explain what user tools actually are as much as it describes the ways in which they can be invoked.

You are not restricted to the existing user tool set, as the interface is quite open, and if you have the programming skills then you can "roll your own" if you want.  Even I've written a couple and I sure ain't no programmer...

An "online" user tool I'm less sure of...  Perhaps Eric has a web interface in mind that will allow use of a tool not on your machine...
I plays 'Bones, crumpets, coronets, floosgals, youfonymums 'n tubies.

Reply #8
If you know how to use abc notation, there is a very nice chord-setting tool associated with Henrik Norbeck's "abcmus" program, available here.

Cheers,

Bill

Reply #9
Thanks you'all.

I'll keep checking on it now and then.

Traded emails with someone from Anvil Studio, they may try to work in what I'm looking for in there next release ...... end of Feb.

We'll see .... I'm just kinda surprised it's not available already.

I was told Finale is able to do it ...... too expensive .

Thanks
Danna

Reply #10
An "online" user tool I'm less sure of...  Perhaps Eric has a web interface in mind that will allow use of a tool not on your machine...
Perhaps somethng like <this>.
Registered user since 1996

Reply #11
If you know how to use abc notation, there is a very nice chord-setting tool associated with Henrik Norbeck's "abcmus" program, available here.
Is this tool compatible with NWC file types?
-DAVID COOPER

Reply #12
Not directly, but there are translation programs available: for example, here.

Reply #13
For NWC2 Testers and Virtuoso, there is a new tool related to this topic which is announced in the Back Stage area.